Is a federal clerkship with it in this situation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is a federal clerkship with it in this situation?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:49 pm

I’m currently a tax attorney (transactional, not controversy) at a v100. I’m considering applying for D.C. clerkships because I’m trying to move up and haven’t really been as successful. Conventional wisdom on here seems to be to get a clerkship if you want to get a better job.

I really don’t want to do controversy or any litigation, but I’m wondering if a 150k+ paycut for a year or two would be worth it.

Would a clerkship guarantee me a position at a larger firm? My firm does a lot of middle market work and I’m looking for more complex work.

Obviously getting the clerkship is another issue, but if I were to be able to, would it make sense?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Is a federal clerkship with it in this situation?

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:59 pm

I don't think it'd make much sense. If you're at a V100, just try to lateral in NY/DC. Go talk to some recruiters.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:52 am

No, clerkships only help for lit. If you've been focusing on transactional work, and want to continue focusing on transactional work, a clerkship is very unlikely to help, and may even hurt (because folks will question whether you actually want to switch to lit).

Far better, as RedPurpleBlue points out, to try lateraling instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm

QContinuum wrote:No, clerkships only help for lit. If you've been focusing on transactional work, and want to continue focusing on transactional work, a clerkship is very unlikely to help, and may even hurt (because folks will question whether you actually want to switch to lit).

What if I’m not able to lateral up? Would it still not make any sense to do a clerkship?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:No, clerkships only help for lit. If you've been focusing on transactional work, and want to continue focusing on transactional work, a clerkship is very unlikely to help, and may even hurt (because folks will question whether you actually want to switch to lit).

What if I’m not able to lateral up? Would it still not make any sense to do a clerkship?
No. You don't want to do litigation. It's not going to make you more valuable to transactional tax departments. If you want to do a clerkship, that's fine. But from the perspective of it helping you advance in your practice area, I don't see any real benefits. I'm not saying there's no chance it helps you lateral up, but I am saying that it's unlikely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”