DOJ Honors v. BigLaw in Hometown Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Honors v. BigLaw in Hometown

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Going anon and being marginally vague because of pending offers.

Got two offers through DOJ Honors at main justice. Neither of them is my top choice. My goal is probably to get a USAO in one of a couple non-NYC/DC cities (think Philly/Boston/Chicago). Wondering where I'd be served better: taking the main justice job and trying to eventually transfer into one of these less-liquid USAOs, or moving to the city I am interested in and working in big law and networking my way into a USAO there. Although I think I'd have more fun in the Honors jobs, I worry that being far away will hurt my chances at getting to the ultimate goal.

Credentials: graduated top 10 from a T10 law school. 2 Clerkships (DC/COA).

Beatmyshorts

New

Re: DOJ Honors v. BigLaw in Hometown

Post by Beatmyshorts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Unfortunately this is highly dependent on what component your DOJ offer is with. Generally speaking, main justice is considered a step up from (most) USAOs, so I don't think being at main justice would in any way hurt your chances of landing an AUSA gig down the line, particularly if you're somewhat geographically flexible.

Your credentials will make you a viable candidate at any USAO, so I think taking the more fun job makes perfect sense.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”