Biglaw partner vs big tech in-house Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Techlaw2222

New

Biglaw partner vs big tech in-house

Post by Techlaw2222 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm

How does compensation and work/life balance of a lower end am law 100 partner compare to a non-GC in-house counsel at Google/Facebook/Amazon at roughly the same experience level (10+ years).

My understand is that lower end am law 100 partners are putting in around 50-60 hours a week. Regarding total comp, I believe around 700k is close to the avg.

Any one have any input regarding total comp for in-house attorneys in big tech with 10+ years of experience. What about hours? My guess is around 300-500k working about 50 hours a week.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw partner vs big tech in-house

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:56 pm

I work at a lower vault/amlaw firm and one of the partners probably bills 1000-1250 hours a year (maybe less) and I think he takes in 1.5m. He’s more senior than you’re looking (15 years out), but he seems to have a cushy job.

Another partner in the same office works around 50 hours and only brings in around 650k.

The average PPP is not really representative for lower amlaw firms. For example, I know one partner in my office makes around 3m (more than 3x our PPP).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 am

Are these lit or tx?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:06 am

There is so much variability and nuance here I don't think there is really much point to debating it. But I think OP's numbers are not far off from what I would guess.

I can tell you that at a number of west coast vault firms below vault 20 or so, junior partners are generally making less than a $1M per year and, at least in corporate, often working pretty close to senior associate hours (more like 60-70 hours per week often). Unless they bring in significant business, which the vast majority do not. They very well will be making more like $1.5-$3M and working more like 50-60 hours per week once they're 5-10 years more senior.

How much a 10 year in house counsel makes at a big tech firm may be around $285K to $375K, I would say. That's total comp, not base. Most people making more like $400-500K+ in house are probably more senior to that or very lucky/senior. Also it depend on the specialty. For example, there can be some very senior commercial counsel in non-managing/senior positions that are making closer to $265K per year. Many of the in house counsel may be working closer to 40-45 hours per week. At some places it may be more like 60+ hours per week.

That would be my rough ballpark numbers based on conversations I've had. Lots of variation though, especially on the higher end.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”