PTO Character and Fitness Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PTO Character and Fitness Question

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 pm

I am a little worried about the character and fitness portion of the PTO registration examination. In college, I received a few write-ups for alcohol and marijuana use (these occurred 7 years ago), and I got one open container for alcohol about 5 years ago. I have had no issues since then, but I am scared that my registration will be denied for failing C&F. Does anyone have any idea what will happen with my application?

QContinuum

Re: PTO Character and Fitness Question

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:37 am

I'm by no means a PTO C&F expert, but my understanding is that the PTO is primarily concerned with "conduct involving dishonesty, fraud,
misrepresentation, or deceit." They are also very concerned (for obvious reasons) with any violation of IP laws (patent, trademark, copyright). While you must disclose your alcohol/marijuana citations (I'm assuming these were citations?), I would be very surprised if you were ultimately denied registration on this basis (though it's very likely your registration will be delayed).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm

QContinuum wrote:I'm by no means a PTO C&F expert, but my understanding is that the PTO is primarily concerned with "conduct involving dishonesty, fraud,
misrepresentation, or deceit." They are also very concerned (for obvious reasons) with any violation of IP laws (patent, trademark, copyright). While you must disclose your alcohol/marijuana citations (I'm assuming these were citations?), I would be very surprised if you were ultimately denied registration on this basis (though it's very likely your registration will be delayed).
I received one open container from a police department (which is considered a violation, not a misdemeanor), and the remainder of the issues were violations of my university's rules and did not involve the police. I am a little worried because I passed the registration exam and then received a call about these issues a few days afterwards (I disclosed these issues on my application to take the registration examination).

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:I'm by no means a PTO C&F expert, but my understanding is that the PTO is primarily concerned with "conduct involving dishonesty, fraud,
I received one open container from a police department (which is considered a violation, not a misdemeanor), and the remainder of the issues were violations of my university's rules and did not involve the police. I am a little worried because I passed the registration exam and then received a call about these issues a few days afterwards (I disclosed these issues on my application to take the registration examination).
So long as you're candid with the PTO, you should be fine, IMO. Again, not a PTO C&F expert, but I really can't see you being denied due to an open container citation. I imagine they just procedurally have to call everyone who discloses anything at all, regardless of severity.

Best of luck!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:54 pm

They're definitely going to want documentation of the open container law. In my experience, they're much more forgiving of college/law school infractions pertaining to drugs and alcohol than of criminal infractions. This isn't to say it will be a major issue, but you should have your court records ready to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”