Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327368
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 pm

I started in a new firm recently and received a lukewarm opening from the attorneys there. Still getting used to the culture there, as it's markedly different than my last firm. Anyway, the same day that I started, the managing partner of my group posted a new opening for an associate of my level. I'm concerned that she reached a snap judgment that I suck and as a result she needs to hire someone new. Granted, I haven't made any mistakes yet, but who knows whether they are looking for something that I just plain don't have. Anyone ever witness an associate get laid off literally right after starting (assuming there was not a huge incident)?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I started in a new firm recently and received a lukewarm opening from the attorneys there. Still getting used to the culture there, as it's markedly different than my last firm. Anyway, the same day that I started, the managing partner of my group posted a new opening for an associate of my level. I'm concerned that she reached a snap judgment that I suck and as a result she needs to hire someone new. Granted, I haven't made any mistakes yet, but who knows whether they are looking for something that I just plain don't have. Anyone ever witness an associate get laid off literally right after starting (assuming there was not a huge incident)?


Absolutely no way that they'd want to replace you on day one. First days of work are awkward at least IME.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327368
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I started in a new firm recently and received a lukewarm opening from the attorneys there. Still getting used to the culture there, as it's markedly different than my last firm. Anyway, the same day that I started, the managing partner of my group posted a new opening for an associate of my level. I'm concerned that she reached a snap judgment that I suck and as a result she needs to hire someone new. Granted, I haven't made any mistakes yet, but who knows whether they are looking for something that I just plain don't have. Anyone ever witness an associate get laid off literally right after starting (assuming there was not a huge incident)?


Absolutely no way that they'd want to replace you on day one. First days of work are awkward at least IME.


So why post a new opening for the same class year? I don't know exactly how much work the firm has, but adding a new associate is a substantial expense that has to be matched either by letting someone go or by bringing in 1900+ more hours of work per year.

nixy

Silver
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

Postby nixy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 am

Someone (else) may be leaving that you don't know about. Or they already left before you started. Seriously, relax. They did not make a decision to fire you on the first day you started.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Firm posts new opening - foreshadowing?

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I started in a new firm recently and received a lukewarm opening from the attorneys there. Still getting used to the culture there, as it's markedly different than my last firm. Anyway, the same day that I started, the managing partner of my group posted a new opening for an associate of my level. I'm concerned that she reached a snap judgment that I suck and as a result she needs to hire someone new. Granted, I haven't made any mistakes yet, but who knows whether they are looking for something that I just plain don't have. Anyone ever witness an associate get laid off literally right after starting (assuming there was not a huge incident)?


Absolutely no way that they'd want to replace you on day one. First days of work are awkward at least IME.


So why post a new opening for the same class year? I don't know exactly how much work the firm has, but adding a new associate is a substantial expense that has to be matched either by letting someone go or by bringing in 1900+ more hours of work per year.


Exactly. It’s a substantial expense... and therefore is a decision that needs to go through several layers of firm bureaucracy. Doesn’t happen in a day, and didn’t happen because you made a lukewarm first impression.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.