1L SA Process/Tips Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA Process/Tips

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 pm

How should one go about applying for 1L summer associate positions? Is it just going through the V100 list and spamming your resume and cover letter to the recruiting directors?

-Non-diverse student attending T10

VirginiaFan

New

Re: 1L SA Process/Tips

Post by VirginiaFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How should one go about applying for 1L summer associate positions? Is it just going through the V100 list and spamming your resume and cover letter to the recruiting directors?

We need a little more to answer. Are you only interested in NYC or DC? If so, long road ahead. Any ties to secondary markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:52 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How should one go about applying for 1L summer associate positions? Is it just going through the V100 list and spamming your resume and cover letter to the recruiting directors?

We need a little more to answer. Are you only interested in NYC or DC? If so, long road ahead. Any ties to secondary markets?
Thanks, no ties to secondary markets - primarily interested in NYC/DC but I'm open to any city. Also, not sure how firms define diverse, but if they include non-racial aspects I might be eligible for some programs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I'd suggest looking at Houston. They hire a large # of 1L SAs and aren't so picky about ties as long as you have a good 'why Texas' story (if you have good grades and come from a prestigious school, that is). Places like Sidley or Vinson & Elkins love T10 1Ls, especially if you're T6 or above. Dallas also hires a decent # but they care a lot about ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Bump - any other suggestions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 am

Do you have a STEM background, and if so, are you interested in patent lit? If so, apply to those positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm

QContinuum wrote:Do you have a STEM background, and if so, are you interested in patent lit? If so, apply to those positions.
Not that this is wrong, but I think people overestimate how easy it is for STEM 1Ls to get SA jobs. I had above median grades at a T1 school and am already Patent Bar registered, and in a major market, and I applied to almost every V100 firm and only got 1 screener/cb.

I’m not upset as I ended up at another job that was good and paid well, and now have a SA for 2019 but I was surprised.

As far as I know, none of the STEM people in my year from my school had 1L SA jobs (but I think they all have 2L SAs)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 pm

QContinuum wrote:Do you have a STEM background, and if so, are you interested in patent lit? If so, apply to those positions.
Took some science classes, but not enough to be patent bar eligible.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Focus on getting good grades in your 1L classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:11 am

Get good grades, send out as many applications as possible, personalize your application (or use connections if possible). It's all a numbers game.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
VirginiaFan wrote:

Thanks, no ties to secondary markets - primarily interested in NYC/DC but I'm open to any city. Also, not sure how firms define diverse, but if they include non-racial aspects I might be eligible for some programs.
By non-racial aspects, do you mean you’re LGBT or that you’re from Wyoming? If the former, some firms specifically list LGBT as in the definition of diverse while other programs are strictly limited to underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities (mostly Black, Latino, Native American).

If you’re from Wyoming or something, you can try to use that as a diversity marker, but you’ll get a hard pass from most, if not all, firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:49 am

2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VirginiaFan wrote:

By non-racial aspects, do you mean you’re LGBT or that you’re from Wyoming? If the former, some firms specifically list LGBT as in the definition of diverse while other programs are strictly limited to underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities (mostly Black, Latino, Native American).

If you’re from Wyoming or something, you can try to use that as a diversity marker, but you’ll get a hard pass from most, if not all, firms.
I'm a first-gen student, which for most firms seems to matter as much as being from Wyoming would. A lot of firms don't seem to define what counts as diverse for their purposes which makes it difficult to decide whether it makes sense to apply.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VirginiaFan wrote:

I'm a first-gen student, which for most firms seems to matter as much as being from Wyoming would. A lot of firms don't seem to define what counts as diverse for their purposes which makes it difficult to decide whether it makes sense to apply.
If in doubt, just apply. Worst case they say no.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”