Asking to switch offices after accepting offer ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking to switch offices after accepting offer ?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:38 pm

I am a 3L at CCN and I recently spent my summer at my firm In the DC office. Initially I wanted to start in dc because that is where I am originally from but having spent my summer there and bbeing back in New York I realize that I really would like to start off in New York. Im aware that 3L hiring is basically done at this point so my best hope is to get my firm to transfer me to the NY office before I begin next fall. I am concerned about offending anyone when I ask especially because I do not have a “real” reason like a significant other works here or family things. Mainly I just love New York and want to stay.
How can I best frame this in a convincing way that doesn’t annoy anyone in DC, should I reach out only to recruiting or to others that I’ve worked with?
I’m open really to any of the practice areas in the NY office, this summer in DC i did mainly regulatory work and litigation. There is litigation in the New York office but also more of the transactional practice groups. (But again I’m open to try any as I have done some transactional work during my 1L summer that I enjoyed ).

Any advice would be great, thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Asking to switch offices after accepting offer ?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Know people who have done this and it shouldn't be a problem. Just ask what their "policy" is with respect to transferring offices and whether the firm would be willing to consider you for a position in NY. Considering firms always need bodies in NY, you'll be fine.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:21 pm

The issue here will be practice group size and need within the markets. assuming you're not being hired for something really specific they probably won't care too much

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm

As others have said, you’re probably (though not definitely) fine. I think you need to raise it with an actual lawyer, not just through HR, but I’m not sure about that. I know more about how it works after you’ve started working, and at that point you definitely want to start the process by talkIng to a partner you know well. If no one gives you a clear answer here, I would ask career services.

In terms of framing it, given that I assume you’re at one of the NYC schools, I would say that you’ve really put down roots in the city in a way that surprised you or something. I think that’ll be fine.

One thing I’ll add though: Think long and hard about whether you want to do this. If you have family and friends in DC, and you liked the regulatory work you did over the summer and will have the choice to continue that when you return, you might be giving up a lot of your time/life to be in NYC. The life of a DC regulatory associate is just way, way better than either lit or (especially) transactional, generally has better exit options than lit, and is a fairly tough gig to land. We’re talking the difference between a perfectly reasonable expectation of ~2k billables with very minimal fire drills and working on matters with just you and a partner from day one versus everything awful you’ve heard about NYC biglaw. I’ve also seen multiple people in DC reg groups work there for 2-3 years (developing a reputation in DC) and then transfer to their firm’s NY office and keep doing the same work they were doing before.

None of that is to say you’d be crazy to do NY, and it’s not a guarantee that you’ll be happier in DC regulatory work (maybe you’ll realize you hate the industry you’ve chosen, or you’re constantly working on data breaches filled with fire drills or something), but just keep that in mind.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know people who have done this and it shouldn't be a problem. Just ask what their "policy" is with respect to transferring offices and whether the firm would be willing to consider you for a position in NY. Considering firms always need bodies in NY, you'll be fine.
Seconding this advice. Just approach your recruiter/whoever your main HR contact was, and ask them. Be prepared to hear "no"; there are some firms whose identities might surprise you that don't let 3Ls switch offices. But it's likely they'll say yes, and in any case I don't see any risk to you, as long as you're courteous and professional.
Anonymous User wrote:As others have said, you’re probably (though not definitely) fine. I think you need to raise it with an actual lawyer, not just through HR, but I’m not sure about that. I know more about how it works after you’ve started working, and at that point you definitely want to start the process by talkIng to a partner you know well.
I agree that this would be the right advice for an actual associate, but for a 3L who hasn't started yet, I think the better way is to go to HR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I would ask HR/whoever ran your summer program. If you're at any of the big firms I don't think it will be an issue. You haven't started yet and aren't tied to any group - you're just a body at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another questions. is there a time that is best to ask? Meaning should I ask now or wait until the spring closer to recruiting season, does it matter ? I’m wondering whether it is more likely to be granted if I ask at a certain point in time.
(May be over thinking this but just want to get the best outcome)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another questions. is there a time that is best to ask? Meaning should I ask now or wait until the spring closer to recruiting season, does it matter ? I’m wondering whether it is more likely to be granted if I ask at a certain point in time.
I can't imagine any advantage to waiting. Go ahead and ask now.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another questions. is there a time that is best to ask? Meaning should I ask now or wait until the spring closer to recruiting season, does it matter ? I’m wondering whether it is more likely to be granted if I ask at a certain point in time.
I can't imagine any advantage to waiting. Go ahead and ask now.
Agree. You should ask ASAP (but wait until after thanksgiving). And as others mentioned, you should be prepared for a no. And you should be adamant, but not demanding. In other words, make it clear that you have good reasons for wanting to switch offices, but also recognize that it might not be possible and you’d be “thrilled” to stay put.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”