AUSA to investigations firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA to investigations firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm currently a SAUSA in a flyover district and have an offer for a Criminal Division AUSA position in the same district. My ultimate goal is to eventually head back home (major market) to open a boutique practice, focusing on internal investigations for corporate clients. My trajectory is non-traditional, no clerkship, no biglaw, no da's office. Out of law school, I went straight in-house to a major int'l company, though my experience was primarily transactional. I then served briefly as an investigation attorney, in a consultant capacity, for a different major int'l company.

My thought is that a stint as an AUSA will provide my resume the credibility and stability I need to be able to hang a shingle and attract clients. I see the opportunity more as a means to an end. 3 years of my life feels like a big sacrifice at this point. Additionally, living in this flyover district will be a large lifestyle sacrifice for a variety of reasons.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA to investigations firm

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a SAUSA in a flyover district and have an offer for a Criminal Division AUSA position in the same district. My ultimate goal is to eventually head back home (major market) to open a boutique practice, focusing on internal investigations for corporate clients. My trajectory is non-traditional, no clerkship, no biglaw, no da's office. Out of law school, I went straight in-house to a major int'l company, though my experience was primarily transactional. I then served briefly as an investigation attorney, in a consultant capacity, for a different major int'l company.

My thought is that a stint as an AUSA will provide my resume the credibility and stability I need to be able to hang a shingle and attract clients. I see the opportunity more as a means to an end. 3 years of my life feels like a big sacrifice at this point. Additionally, living in this flyover district will be a large lifestyle sacrifice for a variety of reasons.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Aren't the SAUSA jobs unpaid? If I have this right, you are currently serving in an unpaid role in a district and have an offer for a paid AUSA division in the same district? You didn't provide any other options you currently have leads on, so pretty unsure what the question is on which you are asking for insight. If that question is "should I take the AUSUA job" then, based on the information you provided, the answer is yes.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 pm

What is your question?

investigador

New

Post by investigador » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aren't the SAUSA jobs unpaid? If I have this right, you are currently serving in an unpaid role in a district and have an offer for a paid AUSA division in the same district? You didn't provide any other options you currently have leads on, so pretty unsure what the question is on which you are asking for insight. If that question is "should I take the AUSUA job" then, based on the information you provided, the answer is yes.
Apologies for the incomplete post. Yes, they are unpaid. Other option is in-house at a major financial institution in a transactional/risk dept, doing work I don't love but it may provide a better lifestyle than the AUSA position (i.e. hours/intensity of the work + the fact the in-house position is in my home market, far away from the district I currently work in). My ultimate goal is to work in-house as an investigations attorney or join/open a boutique firm, specializing in investigations.

There are personal concerns here as well (i.e. not sure I necessarily love the day in and day out of being a prosecutor) but my question is mostly about which option would set me up better for my desired outcome.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm

You have minimal investigations experience and your ultimate goal is to be an investigations attorney. Seems like a no-brainer to take the job as an AUSA.

You have to weigh that against the value of getting back home, but if you value the career outcome most, this looks like a slam dunk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”