Best Laptop for Remote and Travel Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redsox550

Best Laptop for Remote and Travel Work

Postby redsox550 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 pm

What laptop would you recommend as something I can use to work from home and use while traveling?

albanach

Gold

Re: Best Laptop for Remote and Travel Work

Postby albanach » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:45 pm

redsox550 wrote:What laptop would you recommend as something I can use to work from home and use while traveling?

For work? Surely this only needs to run Office so any laptop will work.

My priorities would be battery life, weight, and a quality graphics card. If you have dedicated work space at home, I'd look for a laptop that can dock - like a Dell Latitude or HP EliteBook. Set up a good monitor, keyboard and mouse and you can just drop it in place. I have moved from the dual monitor setup to a large 4k monitor which I greatly prefer. That might not be idea though if you're using a virtual desktop tool. Otherwise it's great.

If you're tight for space, I'd maybe look at a Microsoft Surface. From what I see, they are increasingly popular in the legal community and the form factor is great for travel. Again, I'd make sure you have decent 4k support.

melloyello

New

Postby melloyello » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:18 pm

I just carry around my firm issued Thinkpad, since it looks indestructible and I can throw it around knowing that firm IT will take care of any issues. The one I was issued recently is pretty thin with good battery life, but it's still a Thinkpad so not the epitome of cool. I've seen several folks use iPads at home, using it to mark up PDFs and send directly. I don't know why you would need another work laptop.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Postby toast and bananas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Any reliable laptop but get a portable second screen. They sell them on amazon for fairly cheap and can be a lifesaver on a trip.

glitched

Silver

Postby glitched » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Surface Pro

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Second the Thinkpad. There's a reason why all the major consulting firms use them. You can travel heavily with it and know it won't fall apart after a few months. The X series are the thin ones.

Another pro is that the Thinkpad keyboards are viewed by many as best in class (unlike the horrible new Mac "butterfly" keyboards)

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Second the Thinkpad. There's a reason why all the major consulting firms use them. You can travel heavily with it and know it won't fall apart after a few months. The X series are the thin ones.

Another pro is that the Thinkpad keyboards are viewed by many as best in class (unlike the horrible new Mac "butterfly" keyboards)

Thirding the ThinkPad recommendation. These computers are built to stand up to the rigors of life on the road, unlike many other laptops. You don't need something that'd be a gaming powerhouse; you need something durable.

Return to “Legal Employment�