Applying to jobs after taking two years to pass the bar Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to jobs after taking two years to pass the bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 pm

After graduating law school, I had a temp, full-time government position that expired 9-10 months later. Since then, the problem is that it took me almost two years to pass the bar exam, which means there’s a big (and still growing) resume gap.

My resume and interests all point toward the public sector, and I’ve applied almost exclusively to government attorney positions. In total, I’ve sent out about 90-100 apps in the past few months. So far, I’ve had 7 interviews. Three of them ---> dings, but I’m still in the running for four places. Needless to say, I’m regularly tweaking/sharpening my docs (cover letter, resume) and interview skills.

As much as anything, any affirmation would be nice. Am I in a good spot in terms of the number of interviews I’m getting? How much should I be freaking out about my almost two-year gap on my resume? Any suggestions on what else I could/should be doing for the hunt?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to jobs after taking two years to pass the bar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Well at least you are getting interviews so that’s good. I wouldn’t bring up the fact that it took you so long to pass unless they ask. In my experience no one will ask and it’s really none of their business. But it may be different for you. I passed on the second try. Is there a reason it took so long? Was it just difficult for you or was there some other circumstance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well at least you are getting interviews so that’s good. I wouldn’t bring up the fact that it took you so long to pass unless they ask. In my experience no one will ask and it’s really none of their business. But it may be different for you. I passed on the second try. Is there a reason it took so long? Was it just difficult for you or was there some other circumstance?
OP here. Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I only discuss it when it's about to come up or get asked about. That said, I think all but two of my interviews asked about the resume gap, so I've had to talk about it.

Overall, there were no special circumstances... it's just that I had a difficult time with it. When it gets brought up though, I just try to emphasize the positives (grit/perseverance) that I can apply on the job, etc.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Don't really have any great tips to offer, but wanted to post to congratulate you on passing the bar. You made it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 pm

QContinuum wrote:Don't really have any great tips to offer, but wanted to post to congratulate you on passing the bar. You made it!
Thank you so much!

For so long, the bar was the insurmountable obstacle that consumed my mind. Sometimes, it helps to take a step back and remind myself that stressing about job hunting and interviews is a GREAT problem to have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well at least you are getting interviews so that’s good. I wouldn’t bring up the fact that it took you so long to pass unless they ask. In my experience no one will ask and it’s really none of their business. But it may be different for you. I passed on the second try. Is there a reason it took so long? Was it just difficult for you or was there some other circumstance?

Yeah, I only discuss it when it's about to come up or get asked about. That said, I think all but two of my interviews asked about the resume gap, so I've had to talk about it.

Overall, there were no special circumstances... it's just that I had a difficult time with it. When it gets brought up though, I just try to emphasize the positives (grit/perseverance) that I can apply on the job, etc.
Well it is good you passed. Honestly no one cares how long you took to pass the bar... The only thing that matters is you passed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well it is good you passed. Honestly no one cares how long you took to pass the bar... The only thing that matters is you passed.
Appreciate the encouragements. When the topic has come up in interviews, my prepared response usually gets the job done and no one digs deeper than that. So yeah, I hope the interviewers care more that I passed the thing more than how long it took me to do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At what point in the job search should I consider finding a part-time volunteer gig?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”