Cold Emailing Partners Ok?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cold Emailing Partners Ok?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 am

New associate. On a case that's ok, slow right now. Is there any reason I should be wary of looking up partners I want to work with and sending the following email (or something like it)?

Subj line: Reaching Out

Hey Parner Name

I haven’t had the chance to meet you yet, but I just started at the Firm a couple of weeks ago. I’m reaching out to let you know that if you need an associate on any of your cases, I would really like the chance to work with you. I’m in [office number] and my extension is XXXX.

Thanks and I hope to see you around.

Best,
New Associate

Thoughts? Edits? Other suggestions?

okaygo

Silver

Re: Cold Emailing Partners Ok?

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am

2nd year only, but I sent cold emails all the time when I was just getting started. Also I think that dropping by offices and introducing yourself yields good results as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am

okaygo wrote:2nd year only, but I sent cold emails all the time when I was just getting started. Also I think that dropping by offices and introducing yourself yields good results as well.

Was the content of your emails similar to the example above?

okaygo

Silver

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am

Yep. I didn’t say the part about not yet meeting them because 1) it reads a little creepy to me and 2) partners largely don’t remember what first years/summer they have or haven’t met anyway.

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Some people might think hey is a little informal.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 pm

cfcm wrote:Some people might think hey is a little informal.

+1. I'd simply use "Hi [first name]" instead.

It sounds like the OP is in general lit, so this may not be applicable. But if reaching out to a partner focusing on an area OP is particularly interested in, I think it'd be helpful to note that in the cold email.

Also, +1 to the general consensus ITT that cold emails are not only okay but a great way to source work.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 am

QContinuum wrote:
cfcm wrote:Some people might think hey is a little informal.

+1. I'd simply use "Hi [first name]" instead.

It sounds like the OP is in general lit, so this may not be applicable. But if reaching out to a partner focusing on an area OP is particularly interested in, I think it'd be helpful to note that in the cold email.

Also, +1 to the general consensus ITT that cold emails are not only okay but a great way to source work.

Agree with all of this. "Hey" is fine for many people and not the worst option ("Dear Mr./Ms. XXX" is actually worse IMO), but "Hi XXX" is clearly the best for a cold email to a partner with whom you've never worked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am

Cold email is fine but you should really go over to their office and say hi and introduce yourself. I 100% guarantee you no partner will be put off by that. I remember being scared to do that when I was a summer associate, which is pathetic in retrospect. I'm a senior associate and partners are no longer scary in the least.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cold email is fine but you should really go over to their office and say hi and introduce yourself. I 100% guarantee you no partner will be put off by that. I remember being scared to do that when I was a summer associate, which is pathetic in retrospect. I'm a senior associate and partners are no longer scary in the least.

Agreed. Unless they are in an out of town office, just go and say "hi."

Return to “Legal Employment?