Office Name Plate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
carsondalywashere

Silver

Office Name Plate

Postby carsondalywashere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:46 pm

What do people put on their office name plates? Full first and last name, middle initial or full middle name, or just what you normally go by? Is there a rule or practice which dictates one option over the other?

QContinuum

Re: Office Name Plate

Postby QContinuum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I've never been consulted about what I wanted on my name plate...

What do your colleagues do? Just do whatever's standard. If everyone else has a middle initial, include your middle initial. If everyone else has a full name, use your full name. If there's no standard, then use whatever you prefer.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 pm

They just put that thing up outside my door... have you actually been asked about this? And if yes, I’d go with a nickname to spice things up

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:11 pm

I was asked by our facilities people and chose the name I go by (nothing crazy - think Chris rather than Christopher). I also chose the same for my email signature, though my full name is in the “from” line. I don’t think anyone cares one way or another. Never even discussed it with anyone else or thought about it until now.

JakeTappers

New

Postby JakeTappers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:33 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:They just put that thing up outside my door... have you actually been asked about this? And if yes, I’d go with a nickname to spice things up

Agreed. And I must say, the very existence of this forum truly tells you everything you need to know about law students/lawyers.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm

JakeTappers wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:They just put that thing up outside my door... have you actually been asked about this? And if yes, I’d go with a nickname to spice things up

Agreed. And I must say, the very existence of this forum truly tells you everything you need to know about law students/lawyers.

The existence of the forum? There are TLS analogues for many other fields, including medicine, business, finance, and the liberal arts. I'm sure there are online spaces for other professions as well that I'm just not aware of.

JakeTappers

New

Postby JakeTappers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 pm

QContinuum wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:

The existence of the forum? There are TLS analogues for many other fields, including medicine, business, finance, and the liberal arts. I'm sure there are online spaces for other professions as well that I'm just not aware of.

Just meant the thread. The forum as a whole is of course great. I would be pretty impressed if there was a thread in any of those discussing the exact way to have your name tag, though.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Full name, complete middle name. especially if you have a pretty WASPy name.

but also LOL at you even asking this. Classic lawyer.

Wubbles

New

Postby Wubbles » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Do summers get office name plates?

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Wubbles wrote:Do summers get office name plates?

IME, yes.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Postby ghostoftraynor » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Big fan of middle initial.

Return to “Legal Employment?