Working for a legal information service company?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tyler_Durden

New

Working for a legal information service company?

Postby Tyler_Durden » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Is working for an information system, such as Prime Clerk, Reorg Research, Westlaw, Lexis, etc... a career killer if you want to get back into biglaw eventually? Let's assume that your division you would be working for within the information system company is the same as your practice area would be within a law firm. Some of the experience overlaps- actual knowledge of the law and recent cases- but you are missing out on the finer aspects of litigation like writing briefs and arguing in court.

LBJ's Hair

New

Re: Working for a legal information service company?

Postby LBJ's Hair » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:09 pm

I mean, like you said, if you're working for Westlaw, you're not actually doing the things practicing litigators do right - writing motions, briefs, taking depositions, and so on.

Tyler_Durden

New

Postby Tyler_Durden » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:36 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:I mean, like you said, if you're working for Westlaw, you're not actually doing the things practicing litigators do right - writing motions, briefs, taking depositions, and so on.

Question is more so aimed at whether people have ever seen/heard of someone making a lateral move from one of these information service companies to a prestigious law firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:I mean, like you said, if you're working for Westlaw, you're not actually doing the things practicing litigators do right - writing motions, briefs, taking depositions, and so on.

Question is more so aimed at whether people have ever seen/heard of someone making a lateral move from one of these information service companies to a prestigious law firm.

To answer your question, I know quite a few of these folks and have never seen one transition back to law practice at all. Not sure how I managed to post anonymously; this is mmac.

Return to “Legal Employment�