Travelling the World with Big 4 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Travelling the World with Big 4

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm

I accepted a JD international tax internship with a Big 4. Looking down the line, if I get hired I'd like to move to another office in another country after a few years. Ideally, I'd actually like to move international offices several times with a few years (3-5) at each.
1) is it possible for a US JD to find tax work in various international offices within the same company
2) is that much jumping around unusual/looked down upon

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Travelling the World with Big 4

Post by dabigchina » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Sorry but prob not going to happen. Most, if not all of the big4 are vereins, with minimal interaction between member firms in each country. The only international deployments I have seen are

1. Temp deployments to India
2. Getting moved to Canada for immigration reasons.

That's not to say it's impossible, but the odds are stacked against you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 pm

I’ve seen 2+ year stints in:

Japan
UK
Switzerland

It really depends on need and which office you’re working at.

Edit:

It’s usually at the manager level and the people I know were in the SF/LA office
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 pm

I've seen one Senior Associate go to Germany for a tour and another Director go to England. It is hard to do, but not impossible. It's much easier to go to different offices within the U.S.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 am

Grow up dude

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hoosier2

New

Post by Hoosier2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 am

I disagree with other posters and have seen several people in my office work abroad for 6 months at a time to either work at a US tax desk or as part of another program. I do not believe this is uncommon as I have heard similar things from friends in other firms. Not sure if anyone would be interested in sending someone several times, but once does not seem difficult.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 am

Hoosier2 wrote:I disagree with other posters and have seen several people in my office work abroad for 6 months at a time to either work at a US tax desk or as part of another program. I do not believe this is uncommon as I have heard similar things from friends in other firms. Not sure if anyone would be interested in sending someone several times, but once does not seem difficult.
I’m assuming this is KPMG. KPMG seems to use this six month stint thing as a selling point. I have friends there and they said that they can travel, but the “where” is very limited.

hutzlaw123

New

Post by hutzlaw123 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am

As an international tax lawyer, you'll be practicing mostly US outbound taxation. This means that you'll be advising US companies on their activities abroad. There's not really a need for you in foreign offices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”