Anyone *ashamed* of their law school transcript? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone *ashamed* of their law school transcript?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 pm

An unemployed & miserable 3L at a mid-T14 (think of P/V/M/B). Struck out with median grades at 2L OCI, mostly due to my poor bidding strategies. I spent my 2L year in and out of hospital inpatient care and urgent care because some acute physically illness hit me really hard. Naturally, I ended up with disastrous grades. I did make a full recovery, but my GPA never bounced back to median. Following the disastrous 2L year, I summered at a mid-sized firm in the middle of nowhere. The firm had warned me beforehand that they did NOT operate like Biglaws and it was NOT their common practice to give return offers to a law school grad. I took their offer regardless, assuming that it was at least better than nothing.

After tons of networking, 3L OCI, career fairs, etc., got nothing. Finally, one of the partners (an alum, law review editor) at my summer firm called me and suggested that I grab coffee and talk to her old friend XXX, a managing partner at V80. So I did as she told me. She liked me a lot during the summer and always spoke very highly of the assignments I turned in. That said, she was entirely ignorant of my abysmal GPA.

Anyway, I grabbed coffee with this managing partner. We had a great conversation. Towards the end, he said he was gonna touch base with the hiring partner and then he asked for my resume and transcript. I was stunned. Until this point I'd been pretty vague about my GPA, so he probably assumed that my GPA was at least *acceptable* though it was nowhere close to that. I was aware of how much of a big deal-breaker my transcript could be.

I wrote an earnest cover letter (after tons of research about the firm), and decided to send it along with my resume (several people I've networked with say I've got a very nice resume), writing sample and a list of references.

Now, my question - is it wise to skip the transcript and send the partner my cover letter + writing sample + references ONLY?

Without the transcript showing my 2.999 GPA, I look like a strong candidate with decent interview skills and good personality, but it may come off as a red flag if they find my transcript missing. Meanwhile, all my efforts and whatever good impression will be ruined if they catch a glimpse of my transcript.

If I submit my transcript along with everything else, should I add an addendum about my physical health issues? Since few lawyers know anything about medical science, such info might lead to an assumption that I''m unable to work long hours or handle the stress. Either way, I'm probably dead.

At this point, I''d really appreciate any input, especially those with similar GPA and associates/partners who have been on the hiring committee. Thanks!

Silver

Re: Anyone *ashamed* of their law school transcript?

Post by 2013 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes to grades. Send them. Do not send an addendum. You’re applying to a v80, so I’d assume a nearly 3.0 gpa will be acceptable

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 pm

if people ask for a transcript, you send 'm a transcript

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now, my question - is it wise to skip the transcript and send the partner my cover letter + writing sample + references ONLY?
Absolutely not wise. Failing to follow clear instructions would be a definite dealbreaker. Include the transcript.

As others ITT have said, I can't imagine a V80 would be grades-sensitive re: a T13 candidate. Your GPA's effectively 3.0; you should be fine.

Congrats on the lead and best wishes!

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:28 pm

You shouldn't be ashamed of your transcript. If your grades are an issue, then someone will bring it up with you during your interview. Simply tell that person you had a serious medical illness that has been resolved, and that you believe that your 1L grades are the best reflection of your ability.

Look at the firm's page: there are literally dozens of people with worse credentials than you, and yet they were still hired. None of them were able to get into a law school that you would have considered. Partners have told me repeatedly that a major law firm would rather hire someone with a good degree who got medianish 1L grades rather than someone who did well at a bad law school every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your nice law degree is what clients want to see -- it's what brings in the money.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 pm

plurilingue wrote:You shouldn't be ashamed of your transcript. If your grades are an issue, then someone will bring it up with you during your interview. Simply tell that person you had a serious medical illness that has been resolved, and that you believe that your 1L grades are the best reflection of your ability.

Look at the firm's page: there are literally dozens of people with worse credentials than you, and yet they were still hired. None of them were able to get into a law school that you would have considered. Partners have told me repeatedly that a major law firm would rather hire someone with a good degree who got medianish 1L grades rather than someone who did well at a bad law school every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your nice law degree is what clients want to see -- it's what brings in the money.
Seconding the above, and I'd expand a bit by noting that, for marketability to clients, there's no difference between a median T13 grad and a T13 grad with a sub-3.0 GPA. Firms only list honors, not GPA, so clients wouldn't be able to discern any difference between an honor-less median grad and OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:15 am

Yes I am and I graduated from a T2... but you are in a better position being from a T14. It has been an uphill battle for me but I am currently at a mid-sized firm looking to lateral to a better mid-sized firm with hopefully better pay. If you don’t have the grades then I have found you need to be bold (network and email attorneys at firms directly to get an interview at firms that you are interested in).

Please note there are decent mid-sized firms that may not care about your grades at all. It really depends. But like I said networking will be your friend.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:21 pm

RecruiterMan wrote:if people ask for a transcript, you send 'm a transcript
Yes. This. Asking for a transcript is a GOOD thing. They won't even necessarily give it much of a look. A big part is just so they can verify that you actually did attend the school you say you did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”