Laid Off- How screwed am I?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I was recently given notice that I'm being laid off from a mid-sized NYC firm because we do not have enough billable work. I asked for additional time on the website through the end of January, and I'm waiting for a definitive "yes." Lay off was caused by a prolonged slowdown in the amount of work available for my practice group (I haven't had billable work for months). All of the firms in the NYC market in my practice area have been especially slow on billable work for the past few months.

The more perceptive among you should already know which practice area I'm referring to.

Regardless, the complete slowdown in this practice area has caused a dearth of openings at firms of all levels, from large elite firms to smaller and lesser known firms.

I'm operating on a time limit -- my marketability as a junior associate significantly decreases once the firm decides that they cannot continue to keep my profile on the website.

I am considering the following possibilities:
1. continue to apply to the few openings available through recruiters.
2. apply to some mid-sized practices on my own.
3. apply to clerkships.
4. apply for an LLM in my subject area and go back to school (A school offers an LLM in my subject area that is particularly well respected by biglaw practitioners)

Overall, I just don't want to get stuck working in shitlaw as a result of not being employed while applying for reputable firms.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

plurilingue

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby plurilingue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.

2013

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby 2013 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).


Rising third year. I am just trying to avoid the lowest tier of firms where attorneys are working for considerably below market compensation.

2013

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby 2013 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).


Rising third year. I am just trying to avoid the lowest tier of firms where attorneys are working for considerably below market compensation.


So are you saying you wouldn’t go to a firm like Bryan Cave? I mean, someone who just got laid off shouldn’t be that picky. I’d broaden your search to firms that pay 3rd years in the 180k+ range even though they’re significantly below market.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm

You should be applying to any and all jobs. You need to find a position ASAP, even if it is not ideal. Firms are going to be extremely wary of anyone who is unemployed. Your layoff may have been 100% the result of economic factors entirely beyond your control - but there is really no way for your prospective employer to be sure of that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).


Rising third year. I am just trying to avoid the lowest tier of firms where attorneys are working for considerably below market compensation.


So are you saying you wouldn’t go to a firm like Bryan Cave? I mean, someone who just got laid off shouldn’t be that picky. I’d broaden your search to firms that pay 3rd years in the 180k+ range even though they’re significantly below market.


I'm saying that I wouldn't want to go to a small firm that pays less than 100k.

How would a firm like Bryan Cave look at a lay off due to a slump in the practice area?

2013

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby 2013 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).


Rising third year. I am just trying to avoid the lowest tier of firms where attorneys are working for considerably below market compensation.


So are you saying you wouldn’t go to a firm like Bryan Cave? I mean, someone who just got laid off shouldn’t be that picky. I’d broaden your search to firms that pay 3rd years in the 180k+ range even though they’re significantly below market.


I'm saying that I wouldn't want to go to a small firm that pays less than 100k.

How would a firm like Bryan Cave look at a lay off due to a slump in the practice area?


If you’re at a V10 or even V50, firms like Bryan Cave will probably be wanting to hire you. You still may have a few months on your site, so they may not even know you were laid off

You can play it off as “I realized I wanted to do something different, like general corporate” or something. They’ll probably tell you you’d have to come in as a second year, though, if you’re changing practice groups.

What practice areas are you considering (aside from the slow one you are currently in).
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contact professors and get clerkship recommendations today. Then apply to clerkships starting this year. There are some left because people drop out of clerkships. And there are some that are starting later because they are off cycle. Solely relying on biglaw is a terrible idea.

Also be very careful about whom you give your resume to. If you have a shot at a related practice area that is hot, then don’t apply to your current practice area otherwise it looks like you’re papering everything. And don’t apply using a recruiter if you can avoid it — no recruiter fees is half of the reason why firms like clerks.


Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I'm competitive for a related practice area at a top firm, I would have to consider smaller and less reputable firms if I were to change to another practice area.

Question: how harshly do firms view associates who were laid off because their practice area was objectively very slow? It's common knowledge that my practice area is slow, they will know I'm not lying.


Different anon. Firms don’t really care why you were laid off or fired.

Also, at this point, you shouldn’t be focusing on trying to go to a V10 or whatever you consider reputable.

How junior are you? I know some people have had some luck a year out when reapplying to entry level positions (the random ones posted throughout the fall for specific groups).


Rising third year. I am just trying to avoid the lowest tier of firms where attorneys are working for considerably below market compensation.


So are you saying you wouldn’t go to a firm like Bryan Cave? I mean, someone who just got laid off shouldn’t be that picky. I’d broaden your search to firms that pay 3rd years in the 180k+ range even though they’re significantly below market.


I'm saying that I wouldn't want to go to a small firm that pays less than 100k.

How would a firm like Bryan Cave look at a lay off due to a slump in the practice area?


If you’re at a V10 or even V50, firms like Bryan Cave will probably be wanting to hire you. You still may have a few months on your site, so they may not even know you were laid off

You can play it off as “I realized I wanted to do something different, like general corporate” or something. They’ll probably tell you you’d have to come in as a second year, though, if you’re changing practice groups.

What practice areas are you considering (aside from the slow one you are currently in).


FYI not coming from a V10 or V50. Like I said in the OP, it's a reputable mid-sized firm, but a place like Bryan Cave would be a bit of an upgrade. Further info about my practice area would out my identity.

2013

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby 2013 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Sorry, when you said midsize I was thinking Strook or Schulte or something similar (I guess neither are V50, but are highly respectable NY firms).

Maybe look into seeing if you have classmates at Bryan Cave and similar firms (Blank Rome, Akerman, Ballard Spahr, etc. - large, less prestigious firms that seem to be growing). And ask your classmates for contacts in areas you are interested in (not the area you are currently in if that is a slow area).
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 pm

OP here. I have some interest from smaller firms but even if I do get an offer, it will be below market. I have been told by others that if I were to work at a smaller firm, it would be very difficult to lateral back to a larger firm. Options (assuming that a small firm even extends an offer):

Scenario 1: accept below market offer from smaller firm. Likely have zero opportunity to ever rejoin a larger firm.

Scenario 2: reject below market offer from smaller firm. Wait until January when people start leaving their firms after receiving year-end bonuses. Pray that my current managing partner has enough heart to keep me on the website (he was ambivalent about this when I asked- "Let's wait and see what happens")

Opinions?

redsox550

Moderator
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby redsox550 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have some interest from smaller firms but even if I do get an offer, it will be below market. I have been told by others that if I were to work at a smaller firm, it would be very difficult to lateral back to a larger firm. Options (assuming that a small firm even extends an offer):

Scenario 1: accept below market offer from smaller firm. Likely have zero opportunity to ever rejoin a larger firm.

Scenario 2: reject below market offer from smaller firm. Wait until January when people start leaving their firms after receiving year-end bonuses. Pray that my current managing partner has enough heart to keep me on the website (he was ambivalent about this when I asked- "Let's wait and see what happens")

Opinions?


If I followed the thread correctly (v50 3rd year) I disagree with the statement that if you go to a smaller but somewhat known law firm that you couldn't go back to biglaw, especially if at the new firm you practice law that is practiced in big law firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:31 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have some interest from smaller firms but even if I do get an offer, it will be below market. I have been told by others that if I were to work at a smaller firm, it would be very difficult to lateral back to a larger firm. Options (assuming that a small firm even extends an offer):

Scenario 1: accept below market offer from smaller firm. Likely have zero opportunity to ever rejoin a larger firm.

Scenario 2: reject below market offer from smaller firm. Wait until January when people start leaving their firms after receiving year-end bonuses. Pray that my current managing partner has enough heart to keep me on the website (he was ambivalent about this when I asked- "Let's wait and see what happens")

Opinions?


If I followed the thread correctly (v50 3rd year) I disagree with the statement that if you go to a smaller but somewhat known law firm that you couldn't go back to biglaw, especially if at the new firm you practice law that is practiced in big law firms.


Excuse me for being unclear earlier, I think someone assumed that my current firm is v50. It's not v50, but it is widely regarded as respectable. The smaller firm would likely be unknown to anyone except by attorneys who have worked with them in some capacity.

2013

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby 2013 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have some interest from smaller firms but even if I do get an offer, it will be below market. I have been told by others that if I were to work at a smaller firm, it would be very difficult to lateral back to a larger firm. Options (assuming that a small firm even extends an offer):

Scenario 1: accept below market offer from smaller firm. Likely have zero opportunity to ever rejoin a larger firm.

Scenario 2: reject below market offer from smaller firm. Wait until January when people start leaving their firms after receiving year-end bonuses. Pray that my current managing partner has enough heart to keep me on the website (he was ambivalent about this when I asked- "Let's wait and see what happens")

Opinions?


You can’t assume firms will be jumping to hire associates immediately.

I would take the small firm offer and not look back. Yes, the paycut will suck, but you cannot possibly be so picky given your situation.

And, I’ve seen this story before: associate is at firm for 2-4 years -> laterals to another firm and stays under 6 months -> laterals to a large firm.

If you’re dead-set on a biglaw job, if you jump early enough, you will be able to get it. You just need a job. Applying for a job when you don’t have one is harder than applying for a biglaw job with a small firm job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have some interest from smaller firms but even if I do get an offer, it will be below market. I have been told by others that if I were to work at a smaller firm, it would be very difficult to lateral back to a larger firm. Options (assuming that a small firm even extends an offer):

Scenario 1: accept below market offer from smaller firm. Likely have zero opportunity to ever rejoin a larger firm.

Scenario 2: reject below market offer from smaller firm. Wait until January when people start leaving their firms after receiving year-end bonuses. Pray that my current managing partner has enough heart to keep me on the website (he was ambivalent about this when I asked- "Let's wait and see what happens")

Opinions?


If I followed the thread correctly (v50 3rd year) I disagree with the statement that if you go to a smaller but somewhat known law firm that you couldn't go back to biglaw, especially if at the new firm you practice law that is practiced in big law firms.


Excuse me for being unclear earlier, I think someone assumed that my current firm is v50. It's not v50, but it is widely regarded as respectable. The smaller firm would likely be unknown to anyone except by attorneys who have worked with them in some capacity.


Also, i'm taking a pay cut with the smaller firm, as opposed to holding out for something bigger.

ruski

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby ruski » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm

I haven't seen people go from small law to biglaw, but I've seen several people go from small law to a reputable midlaw shop (perhaps even vault 100), so it's definitely possible. if you are in a more cyclical practice like m&A or securities, when the market is hot, a lot of larger firms just need bodies, and extend offers to people outside the firm's league. this happens all the time, I wouldn't be worried.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby QContinuum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:24 pm

ruski wrote:I haven't seen people go from small law to biglaw, but I've seen several people go from small law to a reputable midlaw shop (perhaps even vault 100), so it's definitely possible. if you are in a more cyclical practice like m&A or securities, when the market is hot, a lot of larger firms just need bodies, and extend offers to people outside the firm's league. this happens all the time, I wouldn't be worried.


Right, and in any case, any subsequent job hunt will be infinitely easier for OP coming from a job (even small law), versus coming from the vale of unemployment. (Not to mention that even at a small firm, OP would still have a very decent salary and benefits versus trying to subsist on unemployment benefits.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 am

OP here, from last year. I was hired by a small law firm, I had a lot of work and responsibility, and it was great. Then we settled the largest case we had in the office and the work dried up. After a month of having little or no billable work, I was shown the door.

Managing partner said "you did nothing wrong, it's my fault for not bringing in enough new business."

This feels like fate punching me in the face. Twice in a row. Should I just quit law and do something else?

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, from last year. I was hired by a small law firm, I had a lot of work and responsibility, and it was great. Then we settled the largest case we had in the office and the work dried up. After a month of having little or no billable work, I was shown the door.

Managing partner said "you did nothing wrong, it's my fault for not bringing in enough new business."

This feels like fate punching me in the face. Twice in a row. Should I just quit law and do something else?


Sorry OP, that sucks. Have you spoken to any recruiters? How many years out of law school are you? I don't think you should quit the law unless you dislike law work. Just keep trying to find something that sticks.

User avatar
Raiden

Bronze
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Raiden » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, from last year. I was hired by a small law firm, I had a lot of work and responsibility, and it was great. Then we settled the largest case we had in the office and the work dried up. After a month of having little or no billable work, I was shown the door.

Managing partner said "you did nothing wrong, it's my fault for not bringing in enough new business."

This feels like fate punching me in the face. Twice in a row. Should I just quit law and do something else?


Sorry to hear that OP. From reading the thread, it looks like you were going to jump into Biglaw pretty soon after being in the gig you landed. Did you forgo that? Are there any other small or midsized firms you could apply and jump into?

Anonymous User
Posts: 340208
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Raiden wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, from last year. I was hired by a small law firm, I had a lot of work and responsibility, and it was great. Then we settled the largest case we had in the office and the work dried up. After a month of having little or no billable work, I was shown the door.

Managing partner said "you did nothing wrong, it's my fault for not bringing in enough new business."

This feels like fate punching me in the face. Twice in a row. Should I just quit law and do something else?


Sorry to hear that OP. From reading the thread, it looks like you were going to jump into Biglaw pretty soon after being in the gig you landed. Did you forgo that? Are there any other small or midsized firms you could apply and jump into?


I got an offer from biglaw and they rescinded the offer because "you asked too many questions." Literally 100x more miserable than not receiving any offer at all in the first place.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby ghostoftraynor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:53 pm

OP, really not trying to pour salt in the wound, but the above sounds like a red flag. No idea if the rescinded offer is related to the firings, but would work to correct whatever behaviors led to the rescinded offer.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby QContinuum » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:OP, really not trying to pour salt in the wound, but the above sounds like a red flag. No idea if the rescinded offer is related to the firings, but would work to correct whatever behaviors led to the rescinded offer.

Seconding this. I feel great sympathy for OP. That said, I've never ever heard of any BigLaw firm rescinding an offer for asking too many questions. It generally takes a lot (either a 2008-level crash, or some serious misconduct - think outrageous, ATL-worthy behavior, and/or sexual harassment, and/or seriously pissing off a Very Important Partner) for a BigLaw firm to rescind an offer. (Yes, some BigLaw firms have a habit of cold-offering or even no-offering a few summers every year, but actually rescinding an extended offer is a whole nother level up from a cold or no offer.)

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Laid Off- How screwed am I?

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm

QContinuum wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:OP, really not trying to pour salt in the wound, but the above sounds like a red flag. No idea if the rescinded offer is related to the firings, but would work to correct whatever behaviors led to the rescinded offer.

Seconding this. I feel great sympathy for OP. That said, I've never ever heard of any BigLaw firm rescinding an offer for asking too many questions. It generally takes a lot (either a 2008-level crash, or some serious misconduct - think outrageous, ATL-worthy behavior, and/or sexual harassment, and/or seriously pissing off a Very Important Partner) for a BigLaw firm to rescind an offer. (Yes, some BigLaw firms have a habit of cold-offering or even no-offering a few summers every year, but actually rescinding an extended offer is a whole nother level up from a cold or no offer.)

Yeah something else is going on that OP is not being honest about. From my understanding OP was laidoff from midlaw due to "lack of work", got another biglaw offer that was rescinded for "asking too many questions", and just got fired from small law due to "lack of work."

Not saying its impossible that this was through no fault of OP, but when you've lost a job for the third time within a short period it sure doesn't look that way to employers.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.