How easy is it to transfer as AUSA from NY to CA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How easy is it to transfer as AUSA from NY to CA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Just curious how easy it would be to transfer as an AUSA from EDNY to say CDCA, and what it would take.

Anonymous User

Re: How easy is it to transfer as AUSA from NY to CA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm

What it would take: An opening, good performance reviews from current USAO, interviewing successfully, and an acceptable (to the hiring USAO) AD-scale salary (you get more expensive to take on as you move up, making it somewhat more difficult to transfer offices as you become more senior). For CA, you also would have to take the CA bar, though not necessarily before you started.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Agree with the above. I’ve never seen anyone just transfer where there hasn’t been an actual opening; you have to apply like everyone else, it’s just a little easier because you will have relevant experience and an insider’s insight, and you can start sooner because you’ll have the background check cleared away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agree with the above. I’ve never seen anyone just transfer where there hasn’t been an actual opening; you have to apply like everyone else, it’s just a little easier because you will have relevant experience and an insider’s insight, and you can start sooner because you’ll have the background check cleared away.

Do USAOs accept other agencies SF 86 investigations?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Agree with the above. I’ve never seen anyone just transfer where there hasn’t been an actual opening; you have to apply like everyone else, it’s just a little easier because you will have relevant experience and an insider’s insight, and you can start sooner because you’ll have the background check cleared away.

Do USAOs accept other agencies SF 86 investigations?

No idea, sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 pm

I don’t think you can “transfer.” I think you’d have to apply and go through the usual interview process like anyone else. There’s obviously some advantage if you have prior federal prosecution experience, but I think that’s where the advantage ends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Technically there’s a hardship transfer (I’ve only seen if apply where you have a spouse in the military who gets transferred out of district), but the district you want to transfer to still has to approve it, and I haven’t seen it happen where that office didn’t have an opening and found the candidate acceptable (they can reject you). I think the effect of “transferring” is more preserving your leave and other benefits if you get hired from one office into another rather than getting you into an office of your choice.

Return to “Legal Employment?