What does the conflicts process entail when lateraling?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What does the conflicts process entail when lateraling?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Where do you get the list of matters? Do you include ALL matters no matter how small the role you played was? How long is the process once you turn over the list? Is this ever an obstacle that results in a ding?

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Re: What does the conflicts process entail when lateraling?

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Where do you get the list of matters?

Your time entry software typically has some sort of list of all the matters for which you've entered time. As to where you get the list of opposing parties, if the software doesn't list it - have fun using the search function in your matter search software!

Anonymous User wrote:Do you include ALL matters no matter how small the role you played was?

Yep.

Anonymous User wrote:How long is the process once you turn over the list?

It depends. If there's a conflict it takes longer. The shortest would be a couple of days. Mine took a couple of weeks because I had to get a conflict waiver.

Anonymous User wrote:Is this ever an obstacle that results in a ding?

It's not typical, but sure, it can. It also depends on the ethics rules in your state - if you don't get a waiver, is an ethical wall enough?

Anonymous User

Re: What does the conflicts process entail when lateraling?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 am

Not sure if this is the best way to go about getting a matter list, but I just asked my assistant if she could get me a list of everything I had worked on, and then yes, I included EVERYTHING, even matters I had spent less than an hour on. I think I told my assistant I was updating my firm bio and wanted to put together a list of representative matters, because I didn't want to tell her I was leaving until things were finalized (wasn't sure who I could trust to keep their mouths shut). If you actually save your yearly reports you wouldn't need to do that, but I don't keep good records. It actually took about 3 weeks start to finish, because I had to get the list, put everything into the format requested by the new firm, and review any potential conflicts when they came back (there weren't any), but to be fair, a lot of that was on my end. The firm you're moving to will tell you exactly what they want.

Return to “Legal Employment�