attaching Matter List to Resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg

Bronze

attaching Matter List to Resume?

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a 4ish years out of law school. Litigation. I have a 1 page resume but I currently have a 2 page attachment to this resume where I list a bunch of matters that I was on. Is this bad/excessive and would it get me unnecessarily dinged?

albanach

Gold

Re: attaching Matter List to Resume?

Postby albanach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:42 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:I have a 4ish years out of law school. Litigation. I have a 1 page resume but I currently have a 2 page attachment to this resume where I list a bunch of matters that I was on. Is this bad/excessive and would it get me unnecessarily dinged?

I haven't seen such a thing. Is this normal in your market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

I’ve had firms ask for a representative deal list AFTER applying.

As long as it’s generic and there are no identifying facts, I don’t think it’s unethical.

Some of the stuff was like: “represented multi-billion dollar cosmetics company in its acquisition of a company in X country.”

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

QContinuum wrote:I'd be worried about violating ethics rules by disclosing this info... there's a special carveout for disclosing this information for conflicts checks, but there isn't a carveout for applying to jobs.

Yeah to be clear, matter lists dont have non-public info on them. So there's a lot of "anonymous" unless the litigation is already public.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve had firms ask for a representative deal list AFTER applying.

As long as it’s generic and there are no identifying facts, I don’t think it’s unethical.

Some of the stuff was like: “represented multi-billion dollar cosmetics company in its acquisition of a company in X country.”

Yeah, this is why I started doing it. Do you know/think of any reason not to include it as a part of my resume?

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Yeah to be clear, matter lists dont have non-public info on them. So there's a lot of "anonymous" unless the litigation is already public.

Yes, you're right - I misread OP's post. Have deleted my previous post.

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

I guess that from a litigation perspective, I don't see the point. Your resume should already say what types of clients you typically represent (F500, banks, mid-market, etc.), and what types of things you've done (first-chaired 30 federal trials, argued multiple motions hearings including . . ., lead discovery team, drafted multiple motions including . . ., etc. It's great to keep up a matter list for yourself, as having to do it for conflicts sucks, but I don't see what an additional two pages to your resume does. It's like stating your rank/GPA on your resume, and then attaching your transcript. If they ask for it, definitely send it, otherwise it's overkill.

Return to “Legal Employment?