1st Year Associate- Group of death

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey everyone,

First year at v100 firm. In DC/Chicago/SF. Only junior in my group in my office. The partners I work for are complete screamers. The people I was working with as a summer are gone, so I was not expecting this. No training, no guidance, and I am getting creamed with work. On track for 2500+ hours. Like I said, no juniors.

Went to a t10 law school, median grades. What do I do? Say between 100k-200k in debt. I know that it is early, but want some general advice. I would try for a clerkship, but grades dont seem good enough. I just need some advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am

Just wanted to point out, how can be on track for 2500+ hours when you are a first year?

SplitMyPants

Gold
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

First year at v100 firm. In DC/Chicago/SF. Only junior in my group in my office. The partners I work for are complete screamers. The people I was working with as a summer are gone, so I was not expecting this. No training, no guidance, and I am getting creamed with work. On track for 2500+ hours. Like I said, no juniors.

Went to a t10 law school, median grades. What do I do? Say between 100k-200k in debt. I know that it is early, but want some general advice. I would try for a clerkship, but grades dont seem good enough. I just need some advice.


Market's hot and it's lateral season... Why not explore your other biglaw options?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to point out, how can be on track for 2500+ hours when you are a first year?


Guessing the OP is going into year 2.

da.goat

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby da.goat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

First year at v100 firm. In DC/Chicago/SF. Only junior in my group in my office. The partners I work for are complete screamers. The people I was working with as a summer are gone, so I was not expecting this. No training, no guidance, and I am getting creamed with work. On track for 2500+ hours. Like I said, no juniors.

Went to a t10 law school, median grades. What do I do? Say between 100k-200k in debt. I know that it is early, but want some general advice. I would try for a clerkship, but grades dont seem good enough. I just need some advice.


A lot of judges value work experience, even if your grades aren't amazing. If you're not having luck lateraling to another biglaw firm, or you just really want to clerk, I would throw out apps anyways. Your work experience +t10 school can definitely override median grades for some judges.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Gtfo

User avatar
ronaldo09

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby ronaldo09 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Also consider transferring to another law firm

slamdunc

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby slamdunc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Call me a slacker, but how the fuck can you bill 2,500 hours without burning out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm

What group are you in? Really curious

User avatar
ronaldo09

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby ronaldo09 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 pm

slamdunc wrote:Call me a slacker, but how the fuck can you bill 2,500 hours without burning out?


They do burn out and some, for one reason or another, just continue working while emotionally and/or physically burned out

SplitMyPants

Gold
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What group are you in? Really curious


They mention clerking, so I'm going to assume lit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:17 pm

OP here,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I was just venting. I am in lit. For people who think those hours are crazy, I actively turn down work a lot. The problem is my group is super busy but no juniors. Next closest associate is a 5-7 year. So I get everything. I don't wanna say much more than that of the off chance of being outed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:43 am

This makes me sad because I'm about to start as a first year at a V100 in a small office and ill be the only junior as well. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 326656
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1st Year Associate- Group of death

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I was just venting. I am in lit. For people who think those hours are crazy, I actively turn down work a lot. The problem is my group is super busy but no juniors. Next closest associate is a 5-7 year. So I get everything. I don't wanna say much more than that of the off chance of being outed.



I’m in the complete opposite situation. I’m a junior and the next associate is a 6-8 year. I don’t get work directly most of the time, so I sit and wait for work. Only going to bill around 1500



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.