One offer in market I'm not sure about...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

One offer in market I'm not sure about...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:08 pm

I did not do as well at OCI as I hoped, so I mass-mailed like crazy. I was targeting NYC and LA (where I live), but with the hopes of landing something I applied to a secondary (but still big) market where I grew up and have ties.

I ended up not getting any offers in NYC or LA, and only got 1 in the secondary market. The problem is, I am not super excited about moving there. I hope to come back to LA or go to NYC later on.

Is it worth taking a 2L SA in a secondary market if you don't want to be there, just because its the only BigLaw offer I got?

Would love any advice!!

worklifewhat

New

Re: One offer in market I'm not sure about...

Postby worklifewhat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:17 pm

You haven’t presented any alternatives, so I’d say you should absolutely take it if you want a biglaw job after law school. Switching markets after a few years likely won’t be that difficult but trying to find another biglaw job if you go to a small or midlaw firm first could be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 pm

If this is your only biglaw offer, absolutely take it. I was in a similar situation where I took the secondary market offer and was then able to switch to the market I wanted during 3L OCI. It would've been pretty much impossible to make the move if I hadn't done biglaw or gotten an offer from my summer firm. Accept the offer, be as enthusiastic as possible during the summer and do good work, and then you can shoot for a different market once you have an actual biglaw permanent offer in hand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 pm

Absolutely take it. Much easier to get a biglaw job as a 3L with a biglaw summer on your resume. Even if you strike out as a 3L, you'll be able to lateral if you put in a year at the secondary market. Make sure you spend 2L improving grades, writing articles, and interning to make the process much easier.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 pm

I don't get why you wouldn't take it. If you don't take it, you will most likely never have another opportunity to do biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:48 pm

not OP, but is it that easy to lateral to big cities from a secondary market? what if you're at a Vault firm in a state like FL or NC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:13 pm

OP here: thank you everyone for the feedback! Like a lot of people on TLS, I think I knew my decision but just wanted to make myself feel better by hearing it from other people. Its been hard to decide between city I want to be in vs. future career prospects, but I guess maybe its possible to have both, just not until a few years from now.

ALSO, I think this whole process has just made me go a little crazy. So that's probably it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: thank you everyone for the feedback! Like a lot of people on TLS, I think I knew my decision but just wanted to make myself feel better by hearing it from other people. Its been hard to decide between city I want to be in vs. future career prospects, but I guess maybe its possible to have both, just not until a few years from now.

ALSO, I think this whole process has just made me go a little crazy. So that's probably it.

I chose to go to a secondary market, but have had several friends from school that ended up doing a summer there because that was their only option. A few were able to switch 3L year. The others ended up liking the market. You should take and keep your ears open. If you’re corporate it will be pretty easy to switch. Lot might be a bit harder, but you’ll likely get better experience in a secondary market so you might be able to make they jump too.

Return to “Legal Employment?