Explain AD Pay Scale Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
valleyrat

New

Explain AD Pay Scale

Post by valleyrat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am

Could someone explain the AD pay scale for USAOs to me?

I’m coming in as a third year attorney at AD-23, making more than minimum but less than Q2 25%. In one year, I’ll still be AD-23, but will I automatically move up to Q2 25% (like a step increase), or is that discretionary?

Once I’m a fifth year attorney, I’ll automatically go to AD-25, but does the office have the discretion to move me down to minimum so that I’m making less than what I make currently as an AD-23?

Is everything discretionary? GS scale is much different and I can’t find a lot of explanation of AD scale. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Explain AD Pay Scale

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

I don’t think you automatically move up to 25% like a step increase, but you can; it depends on how much money there is for raises and how your office chooses to handle that. While in a multi-year grade I think I got a small raise one year and a bonus instead of a raise the second (or vice verse).

I have never heard of anyone getting less when they moved up a grade - it should always be more. You won’t be in each grade long enough to move very high up scale to get to a high enough salary that the minimum to 25th percentile on the next grade up is lower. Everyone I know gets paid around the 25th percentile when they move up a grade.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”