What is the process for asking firms to pay for bar prep? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is the process for asking firms to pay for bar prep?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I’m a 3L who got a BigLaw job this year, no former SA experience. I was wondering how people approach firms about paying for bar prep since I have not heard anything about it (and I assume that all v100 firms pay for such prep course). Can anyone provide insight as to steps to take and when? Much appreciated!

gasfard

New

Re: What is the process for asking firms to pay for bar prep?

Post by gasfard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 pm

They'll send you an email about the process early next year or so

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Maybe email the firm recruiter--the person coordinating the summer program.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 pm

longwait wrote:Maybe email the firm recruiter--the person coordinating the summer program.
Sure, but no need to do that yet. They’ll reach out next year. If you don’t hear by March or so, go ahead and ask about their policy.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a 3L who got a BigLaw job this year, no former SA experience. I was wondering how people approach firms about paying for bar prep since I have not heard anything about it (and I assume that all v100 firms pay for such prep course). Can anyone provide insight as to steps to take and when? Much appreciated!
Just as a note - some firms do larger bar stipends (15k-ish) and don't pay for the bar prep course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 am

Not sure if this is still common practice, but I know that a few firms would not offer bar prep reimbursement to non-summers.

Usually people who summered would have received their bar stipend info so they can start billing their firms or using the funds to buy courses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 am

I'm also a 3L who just landed biglaw and didn't previously have a SA. Not sure if your firm does the same thing, but mine has a benefits & compensation page on their website so you can at least see if the firm covers bar exam/review course expenses in the meantime while you wait for them to reach out. I just got an email from the recruiter with a short explanation of what's covered by my firm, but they said someone will be in touch early next year with more details. Some review courses can direct bill firms and some might require reimbursement. If it's any comfort, my firm said it won't make any reimbursements until 2019 anyways so I'm not planning on signing up any time soon and it's not a big deal if your firm hasn't reached out yet since it's still a few months away.

As others have mentioned, if you're really worried, you could just reach out to the recruiter but there's also no need to yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”