Does Kirkland’s open market system allow associates to work in distinct practice groups? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does Kirkland’s open market system allow associates to work in distinct practice groups?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:16 pm

For instance, could a Kirkland associate hypothetically split their time between something like PE and FCPA/white collar work, or are these practice groups just way too distinct for that to be feasible? How about PE and IPO work?

Anonymous User

Re: Does Kirkland’s open market system allow associates to work in distinct practice groups?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:07 pm

You can choose corporate or lit. Within those groups, you can try different things. But you cannot do lit work (FCPA, White Collar) if you are a corporate associate.

Anonymous User

Re: Does Kirkland’s open market system allow associates to work in distinct practice groups?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm

not Op and sorry for hijack this thred:

I never summered so i really dont know what open market system means... im a first year associate here and got assigned to a particular matter, and this matter is not giving me enough hours...im filling my time by pro bono and stuff but how do i get myself on some billable matters? I understand that the "open market system" is a metaphor, it's based on reputation and relationship with second-year associate I guess... ?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I never summered so i really dont know what open market system means... im a first year associate here and got assigned to a particular matter, and this matter is not giving me enough hours...im filling my time by pro bono and stuff but how do i get myself on some billable matters? I understand that the "open market system" is a metaphor, it's based on reputation and relationship with second-year associate I guess... ?
"Open market" means you're in charge of scaring up your own matters. You don't get to sit back and wait to "get assigned" to matters. Start reaching out to seniors to let them know you need work.

And by "seniors" I mean at least third years and up (preferably fourth/fifth years and up).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm

I'd be curious to hear more from Kirkland NY associates about this.
I spoke to one Kirkland NY litigation associate in a niche lit speciality, and he said that it was discouraged (if not outright disallowed) for him to work outside of that group.
My sense was that, if you're in the general commercial lit group, it's open market within that group. But there are discrete practice groups within litigation (can't speak to corporate since I'm in lit), and there isn't much fluidity between those groups.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”