Transfer from Boston (satellite office) to NYC HQ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Boston office pr NYC HQ?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:23 am

Boston
No votes
NY
100%

Total votes: 2

Anonymous User

Transfer from Boston (satellite office) to NYC HQ?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:23 am

I'm currently in the Boston office of my firm and am thinking about transferring to the NYC HQ of my firm for more opportunities. I'm nearing mid-level associate status.

While I was able to make 2100+ hours this past year in Boston, I'm afraid my opportunities for growth will be fewer in a small satellite office, mainly because I only work with NY partners.

My biggest qualm is picking up and moving to NYC when I vastly prefer Boston. Still, I like my firm and want to see where things go here in the long term. I have some really great partner relationships that I don't want to give up. I'm single but in a long distance relationship - my S/O is in neither Boston nor NYC, so this decision will not affect him/her much at all.

Any thoughts, esp. from people who have faced a similar decision in the past?

Return to “Legal Employment”