Good answer for why leave govt for private Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Good answer for why leave govt for private

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am

Hey all-

Trying to work through the main interview questions for my eventual departure to the private sector. What I've worked with so far, and what is generally true for me is that I just want to work on things that are more intellectually stimulating, more complex, and sophisticated. A huge other concern is money but don't think that's something I want to mention.

What are other good reasons to mention?

New

Re: Good answer for why leave govt for private

Post by 20181989 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am

Client service - Meaning you derive from working to help others' problems.

Resources - Hard to do your job at the level you want in gov't.

Teams - To often on your own in a silo, less so in private practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:35 pm

I work in “bigfed.” Several of my colleagues have left to private practice and were honest about money being at least anissue. Private employers were receptive. I think the other answers in this thread are good, too, but if your government work actually is sophisticated (and a lot of it is) downplaying that might not be so great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:20 pm

BUMP..

I think resources is a good and true answer. Client services is kind of hard to spin no?

how else can you spin good government work to wanting to work in private practice?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am

I did this. I also talked to a bunch of people who made the jump and did some TLS research so you’re taking the right step. FWIW, I got deep in the process at a few prestigious private sector spots then landed one. Search took me maybe 8 months total.

In my opinion, don’t touch the money aspect. Often they’ll bring it up in a half-facetious tone (“I bet the money’s no drawback, eh?”) type comments. Smile and lightly agree.

I would say hit the intellectual challenge aspect hard. People like to think what they are doing takes a sharp mind, so you will effectively play into what they want to believe about themselves. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”