Lateral Tax position question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Tax position question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Was lucky enough to snag a couple offers. One is with a v50 in its tax department and another is at a tax boutique (Cap Dry/Roberts and Holland kind of deal).

I’m wondering which would be the better option long-term?

I’m currently at a v100 and I know that some of the resources I currently have would not be at the smaller boutiques.

Is it limiting (career and otherwise) to go to a boutique?

nealric

Re: Lateral Tax position question

Post by nealric » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was lucky enough to snag a couple offers. One is with a v50 in its tax department and another is at a tax boutique (Cap Dry/Roberts and Holland kind of deal).

I’m wondering which would be the better option long-term?

I’m currently at a v100 and I know that some of the resources I currently have would not be at the smaller boutiques.

Is it limiting (career and otherwise) to go to a boutique?
It really depends on the specific groups and personalities involved. The best position is the one that gives you work that will develop your skills under mentors who are willing to help you develop. You will usually want the firm with the strongest practice in your market and desired sub-practice (if applicable). If you don't know what firm that is, do some informational interviews and find out ASAP.

That being said, I think the boutiques tend to do a different sort of work. Vault firms are more likely to be deal-focused, while the boutiques tend to be more controversy focused. Controversy is a bit more "niche" and D.C.-focused as there's a lot more deals that are done than deals that engender controversy. However, there are specific practitioners who may be exceptions.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”