Ropes v. Jones Day v. Arnold and Porter (all NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ropes v. Jones Day v. Arnold and Porter (all NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 am

I'm mostly interested in litigation, white collar, FCPA, etc. Can anyone provide some insight into what I should be looking for, when trying to differentiate between these firms? Or anything else that might be helpful. I am interested in clerking eventually.

Anonymous User

Re: Ropes v. Jones Day v. Arnold and Porter (all NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:31 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious... JD doesn't pay market under its black box system. Also, JD's marquee lit practice is in JD D.C., not JD NY. Given the inherent uncertainties in predicting future exit opps (usually far more a function of which partners you get to know than firm prestige per se), I'd go with either A&P or Ropes, both of which pay market, over JD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious... JD doesn't pay market under its black box system. Also, JD's marquee lit practice is in JD D.C., not JD NY. Given the inherent uncertainties in predicting future exit opps (usually far more a function of which partners you get to know than firm prestige per se), I'd go with either A&P or Ropes, both of which pay market, over JD.
Thanks, yeah, I've been realizing that the black box can be a huge difference in salary, and I definitely need to pay off loans. Anything to note between AP and Ropes? I know they are both more centrally located in other cities. NYC is both their second largest office.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Jones Day is not on the same level as Ropes and A&P.

Both of the latter have been placing well into all of the prosecution and enforcement agencies I've worked at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Wild Card wrote:Jones Day is not on the same level as Ropes and A&P.

Both of the latter have been placing well into all of the prosecution and enforcement agencies I've worked at.
I don't think the bolded is correct but do agree that you shouldn't go to JD unless it's in one of their smaller market offices. Otherwise it's likely that you'll be underpaid there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:42 pm

that's great to hear about AP/Ropes placement into prosecutor and enforcement agencies. What should I be looking for as I decide between the two? Is one firm known for something that the other isn't? Where can I find more detailed info on pay structure?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Jones Day is not on the same level as Ropes and A&P.

I don't think the bolded is correct but do agree that you shouldn't go to JD unless it's in one of their smaller market offices. Otherwise it's likely that you'll be underpaid there.
I meant the New York offices, not the firms as a whole.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'd go with either A&P or Ropes, both of which pay market...
Does A&P actually pay market? I thought they didn't raise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'd go with either A&P or Ropes, both of which pay market...
Does A&P actually pay market? I thought they didn't raise.
A&P associate here. A&P matched salaries but did not give summer bonuses. Said firm will “consider” other firms’ summer bonuses when giving year-end bonuses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”