C&F Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

A little while back I did something really stupid -- shoplifting. I cooperated with local authorities, but it's on my record. Of course I'll disclose it when I apply to law firms. Does anyone have experience/know how a Big Law firm will handle this kind of criminal record? When I disclose it on the background check, will I be shown the door just like that? Or might they be willing to listen to the backstory and allow me to work there?

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: C&F Big Law

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 pm

What is "a little while back" ?

Almost 100% chance this is a dealbreaker. I did laugh when I read your poast so thanks for that.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:12 am

I think you should be fine. As long as you can pass the bar C&F it shouldn’t be an impediment. I don’t think it’s a 100% dealbreaker.

Is a little while back in law school, though?
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 am

Have a friend who got caught shoplifting a cell phone case from Walmart in 2014. Passed C&F and was admitted in 2017. Currently at a reputable V100 firm.

I'm a 0L so take the anecdote w/ a grain of salt but just wanted to stop in and let you know I don't think you're going to get dinged just for that.

Good luck!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 am

Others have honed in on the important questions. How long ago was this and what age were you? An incident several years ago, particularly if you were a minor at the time is much more likely to be bypassed than one when you had completed college or were in law school. Obviously value could be important too - Petit Larceny might be less concerning to an employer than Grand Larceny.

If the circumstances are right, it's probably not a dealbreaker. When can you complete C&F in your state? It might be helpful if you could complete it in advance so that potential employers are not worried about you failing C&F and not being admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 pm

albanach wrote:Others have honed in on the important questions. How long ago was this and what age were you? An incident several years ago, particularly if you were a minor at the time is much more likely to be bypassed than one when you had completed college or were in law school. Obviously value could be important too - Petit Larceny might be less concerning to an employer than Grand Larceny.

If the circumstances are right, it's probably not a dealbreaker. When can you complete C&F in your state? It might be helpful if you could complete it in advance so that potential employers are not worried about you failing C&F and not being admitted.

Unfortunately it was pretty recent, a few months ago. My circumstances are a little unusual, because I had already graduated from law school, taken and passed the bar, and am admitted to the state bar before all of this happened. For family reasons, I had to put my career on hold for a few months. And then this occurred. Now I'm hoping to go back to a law firm in New York.

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Out of curiosity, did it end up working out for you?
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”