No summer writing sample - screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No summer writing sample - screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Basically, everything I wrote this past summer was informal, unconventional, or is only partly-done due to my supervising attorney's eccentric method of communication, etc. etc.

Point is, I have no acceptable writing sample from this past summer. I've been using a writing sample from my 1L spring writing class where I got the highest grade. Is that good enough or a red flag that I'm using this classwork as a writing sample?

Edit: Will be a 2L this fall. However, I think the poster below answered my question.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: No summer writing sample - screwed?

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 pm

It would be helpful if you could say what year you are and what you're anticipating needing the writing sample for.

Either way, whether the summer in question was your 1L or 2L summer, not generating a writing sample during the summer is pretty common. Every firm I've worked at has a blanket rule that no one can use summer work product as a writing sample. If you're a rising 3L, try to write a note or something for a secondary journal. Or if that isn't an option, take a class that requires a paper. You'll want something other than your 1L brief/memo once you graduate.

EminentDumain

New

Re: No summer writing sample - screwed?

Postby EminentDumain » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 pm

You’re fine as long as your school sample is good.

I worked in House this summer and therefore only wrote informally. I used a sample from my 1L fall and got a job at oci.

Return to “Legal Employment?