Addressing significant gap in resume due to bar exam Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Addressing significant gap in resume due to bar exam

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Here are the basics. I had a job (state government) after law school graduation. My tenure came to an end about 10 months later, since the job was a temporary position. It's been exactly 2 years since then during which I've been trying to pass the bar exam (which I did a few months ago). I'm focused almost entirely on re-entering the government sector, preferably in state, although I'm applying to federal government jobs as well.

There was nothing negative about the circumstances of my most recent position coming to an end. But it's not as though trying to pass the bar the last 2 years is a positive story to share. But I feel that I should briefly address the clear gap in my resume towards the end of my cover letter (if the job app requires one).

Do I keep it neutral (e.g. state the job came to an end because it was a temporary position, and that I've been admitted to the bar since then) or try to make it more personal (e.g. state once the job came to an end, it allowed me to focus on passing the bar and address getting healthier [which is generally true])?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts/opinions.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Addressing significant gap in resume due to bar exam

Post by northwood » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I would use your cover letter to sell yourself in a positive manner. Be ready to answer for that gap, but your cover letter is your first and possibly only chance you have with a recruiter/hiring person. Make your first impression positive. If they ask during an interview, then be ready with a response and proceed according to how they follow up. If they ask for more info then talk more but if they drop the subject so should you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

northwood wrote:I would use your cover letter to sell yourself in a positive manner. Be ready to answer for that gap, but your cover letter is your first and possibly only chance you have with a recruiter/hiring person. Make your first impression positive. If they ask during an interview, then be ready with a response and proceed according to how they follow up. If they ask for more info then talk more but if they drop the subject so should you.
OP here. Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, it sounds like you're hinting towards letting the gap be brought up (if at all) at the interview phase? If so, my only reluctance is that by not addressing it in the letter the director might assume I got fired or quit my previous job under bad circumstances -- which was not at all the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 pm

You should note on your resume that it was a temporary position, perhaps as simple as writing next to the date range ("Temporary Assignment"). That will make it clear without requiring a statement from you. And I agree with the above, do not mention your resume gap unless specifically asked about it. I have a large gap on my resume too, and you will be surprised how few people actually notice it. Chances are, when you walk into the interview room will the be first time your interviewer has even seen your resume, and thus very few will notice it unless they are looking closely. I had something like 23 OCI screeners and 6 callbacks -- and I can count on one hand how many people who actually noticed the gap.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm

OP here. Thanks for your thoughts.
Anonymous User wrote:You should note on your resume that it was a temporary position, perhaps as simple as writing next to the date range ("Temporary Assignment").
Yeah, to be specific, it was a full-time, temporary position. Will definitely consider adding that note as a parenthetical next to the date range.
Anonymous User wrote:And I agree with the above, do not mention your resume gap unless specifically asked about it. I have a large gap on my resume too, and you will be surprised how few people actually notice it. Chances are, when you walk into the interview room will the be first time your interviewer has even seen your resume, and thus very few will notice it unless they are looking closely. I had something like 23 OCI screeners and 6 callbacks -- and I can count on one hand how many people who actually noticed the gap.
This is sort of my thinking. I'll definitely have an answer ready should the question be raised in the interview. Until then, I guess it's better to focus on highlighting my achievements/experiences with my resume + cover letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”