Milwaukee help? Looking for info on Reinhart Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Milwaukee help? Looking for info on Reinhart

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 am

Could anyone speak to the Milwaukee market generally? Who are the big players and is Reinhart a good firm? Do any of you know what work-life is like there? I have a CB and would love to know more about the firm as I'm seriously considering it.

Anonymous User

Re: Milwaukee help? Looking for info on Reinhart

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 am

Milwaukee native here. BigLaw Milwaukee consists of Foley & Lardner, Godfrey & Kahn, and Quarles & Brady. Reinhart is up there, but if you want Milwaukee BigLaw Foley would be your best option (they represent Harley!).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Milwaukee native here. BigLaw Milwaukee consists of Foley & Lardner, Godfrey & Kahn, and Quarles & Brady. Reinhart is up there, but if you want Milwaukee BigLaw Foley would be your best option (they represent Harley!).
Milwaukee biglaw is not the goal really. I'm looking for a firm with high quality work, a good shot at making partner (even non-equity), and a good work-life balance. Could you provide any details about Reinhart re: quality of work, work-life balance, and partnership prospects?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Bump since I posted late last night, and I want to see if anyone in the afternoon crowd has any input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am

It’s hard to define what exactly is “BigLaw” in Milwaukee but the way most locals see it is any firm ~200+ lawyers, ~1850 hours, ~$130K+. There is a lot of variability though, particularly with Foley. The main players are:

Foley ($160K, 2050 hours)
Quarles & Brady ($140K, 1850 hours)
Reinhart ($130K, 1800 required, 1900 for bonus)
Godfrey & Kahn ($130K, 1800 hours)
Michael Best & Friedrich ($120k, 1850 hours)

But there are many strong mid/big law firms that have similar salaries with the same or slightly fewer hours like von Briesen, Dewitt, Davis Kuelthau.

Reinhart has a good reputation in Wisconsin. Have never heard anything bad, and know a previous SA who enjoyed it but said they were very busy as an SA. 1900 hours is a little high at that salary compared to the other large Milwaukee firms, but in all honesty, many Milwaukee associates do not meet their billable hour requirements simply because there isn't enough work for everyone to work that much. It isn’t career-ending in Milwaukee like it would be in larger markets. I would say an offer from Reinhart would be a very good thing if you want to work in Wisconsin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:15 am

Reinhart is definitely a firm to consider. They have good practice groups for their market.

I have a friend at Foley and another one at Quarles. Milwaukee is an interesting legal market because of its proximity to Chicago and low cost of living. Since many 1Ls strike out at OCI, it never hurts to consider different markets.

Here is the breakdown. The following are firms in Milwaukee with strong reputations (in no particular order).

- Foley: largest and most reputable firm in Milwaukee.
- Quarles, Husch Blackwell, and Michael Best: primarily offices in the Midwest
- Godfrey & Kahn, Reinhart, and von Briesen: offices in Milwaukee and Madison.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 am

Whoa, did not realize Foley was now at 160k. That hours requirement looks rough though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It’s hard to define what exactly is “BigLaw” in Milwaukee but the way most locals see it is any firm ~200+ lawyers, ~1850 hours, ~$130K+. There is a lot of variability though, particularly with Foley. The main players are:

Foley ($160K, 2050 hours)
Above anon is a little off.

Foley's hours req is 1900 for years 1-3, 1950 thereafter. Bonus eligibility at 1950 for both groups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reinhart is definitely a firm to consider. They have good practice groups for their market.

I have a friend at Foley and another one at Quarles. Milwaukee is an interesting legal market because of its proximity to Chicago and low cost of living. Since many 1Ls strike out at OCI, it never hurts to consider different markets.

Here is the breakdown. The following are firms in Milwaukee with strong reputations (in no particular order).

As someone who went to school in Wisconsin, the firms listed other then maybe von Briesen seem to hire extensively through OCI at least at the two Wisconsin schools. I'm not saying don't mass mail, but at least the firms listed won't be ones that start hiring after OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reinhart is definitely a firm to consider. They have good practice groups for their market.

As someone who went to school in Wisconsin, the firms listed other then maybe von Briesen seem to hire extensively through OCI at least at the two Wisconsin schools. I'm not saying don't mass mail, but at least the firms listed won't be ones that start hiring after OCI.
This may be true, and I have a callback at von Briesen tomorrow. I am from the area and go to school on the east coast. I let G&K know I was going to be in the area and they booked me for a callback on Monday. I wouldn't give up hope, though at this point it sounded like G&K was toward the end of the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”