Latham NY vs Jones Day NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham or Jones Day?

Latham
67%
Jones Day
33%

Total votes: 42

floatie

Silver

Latham NY vs Jones Day NY

Post by floatie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Not thrilled by either of these options (getting Latham'ed vs black box comp) but this is how it turned out. Interested in litigation (probably/possibly IP, as I'm patent bar eligible). Felt a little better about Latham's diversity numbers (I'm not white and LGBT), but also liked the smaller class size at JD. Personally I clicked a lot more with Latham, but I don't fancy the idea of getting fired as a first-year if the economy tanks again.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham NY vs Jones Day NY

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 pm

You’re disappointed about getting offers at Latham and Jones Day? You should read some of the posts here about many people struggling to get a single V100 offer... If you’re that disappointed about your Latham and Jones Day offers, there are thousands of people who will gladly take them off your hands. Myself included.

Perspective. You will be fine with either firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 am

Neither. Retake.

But in all seriousness, you could just take Latham now and try to do 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:25 am

floatie wrote:Not thrilled by either of these options (getting Latham'ed vs black box comp) but this is how it turned out. Interested in litigation (probably/possibly IP, as I'm patent bar eligible). Felt a little better about Latham's diversity numbers (I'm not white and LGBT), but also liked the smaller class size at JD. Personally I clicked a lot more with Latham, but I don't fancy the idea of getting fired as a first-year if the economy tanks again.
But V5 tho...

Seriously, Latham is a great firm. Pick it over JD because $$$. If ITE happens, we're all screwed regardless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 am

floatie wrote:Not thrilled by either of these options (getting Latham'ed vs black box comp) but this is how it turned out. Interested in litigation (probably/possibly IP, as I'm patent bar eligible). Felt a little better about Latham's diversity numbers (I'm not white and LGBT), but also liked the smaller class size at JD. Personally I clicked a lot more with Latham, but I don't fancy the idea of getting fired as a first-year if the economy tanks again.
I feel like Latham is better in this regard. JD has a more conservative old-school stuffy reputation. Plus, blackbox compensation makes it easier to discriminate if a firm would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:08 am

I’m at JD NY. I enjoy the office and the work and like the people I work with. I would pick JD again and have not even talked to a recruiter or considered leaving in the years I’ve been there. IMO you should do a second look both places. Based on talking to people at other firms I think there are major differences between different firms in terms of things that are important like ability to work from home, and ability to use most or all your vacation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m at JD NY. I enjoy the office and the work and like the people I work with. I would pick JD again and have not even talked to a recruiter or considered leaving in the years I’ve been there. IMO you should do a second look both places. Based on talking to people at other firms I think there are major differences between different firms in terms of things that are important like ability to work from home, and ability to use most or all your vacation.
OP here - thanks for the insight. I am planning on doing a second look at both places.

I'd love more info about the firms, esp if anyone has actually worked (or had a close friend/colleague) at either of these firms.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Only one of these firms pays market.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm

There is absolutely no reason to go to JD in NY if you any other offer from a market paying firm. You’ll be working just as hard as your friends at other firms but will just be making less, which could easily be a ~$200k difference if you stay to become a senior associate. This sentiment is even echoed by associates at JD satellite offices.

Also, I’m not convinced that the mark against Latham is indicative of future decisions. They have a smaller class size than their peers and given the flack they took from the previous layoffs they likely won’t do it again. Either way, Latham is also a much better firm than JD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:07 pm

uncle_rico wrote:There is absolutely no reason to go to JD in NY if you any other offer from a market paying firm. You’ll be working just as hard as your friends at other firms but will just be making less, which could easily be a ~$200k difference if you stay to become a senior associate. This sentiment is even echoed by associates at JD satellite offices.

Also, I’m not convinced that the mark against Latham is indicative of future decisions. They have a smaller class size than their peers and given the flack they took from the previous layoffs they likely won’t do it again. Either way, Latham is also a much better firm than JD.
I don’t think the gap is $200k, but agree with the rest.

My friends have left JD quickly for other firms after they found out their second year salary (+ bonus rolled in). It’s not like JD is not some humane firm that can justify the lower salary

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
uncle_rico wrote:There is absolutely no reason to go to JD in NY if you any other offer from a market paying firm. You’ll be working just as hard as your friends at other firms but will just be making less, which could easily be a ~$200k difference if you stay to become a senior associate. This sentiment is even echoed by associates at JD satellite offices.

I don’t think the gap is $200k, but agree with the rest.

My friends have left JD quickly for other firms after they found out their second year salary (+ bonus rolled in). It’s not like JD is not some humane firm that can justify the lower salary
To clarify I meant the difference in salary could amount to a total loss of ~$200k by the time you are a senior associate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Latham's a much stronger firm overall, and also stronger for IP lit in particular. I know Latham isn't great due to the Lathamings but we all know JD isn't great either as (per ATL) it systemically pays under market. JD also doesn't exactly have a reputation for being super supportive of diversity (see the recent gender discrimination lawsuit). Given that I think Latham's the clear winner.

'Gratz on your offers - despite everything I've said above, both are still very strong firms and I know lots of folks would kill to have an offer at either firm (let alone both!).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”