Restructuring - Lifestyle and Exit Ops Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Restructuring - Lifestyle and Exit Ops

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I am a rising 2L who has received an offer from a Kirkland/Weil type firm. I interviewed expressing interest in bankruptcy, and went to this firm for that reason. I have done extensive research, including speaking on the phone with dozens of attorneys in many different practice areas. Bankruptcy seems like an extremely interesting practice area, but obviously I have never worked a day in restructuring so I have no idea how much I'll actually like it. Some things I'm curious about:

Exit Ops: what are they? I've heard restructuring folk are kind of seen as generalists and can have a hard time leaving firm life for an in-house role.
Lifestyle: I know I'm going to be billing like a mad man, and there will be a shit ton of travel. What are some other things I should expect?

What should I be thinking about when taking an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Restructuring - Lifestyle and Exit Ops

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L who has received an offer from a Kirkland/Weil type firm. I interviewed expressing interest in bankruptcy, and went to this firm for that reason. I have done extensive research, including speaking on the phone with dozens of attorneys in many different practice areas. Bankruptcy seems like an extremely interesting practice area, but obviously I have never worked a day in restructuring so I have no idea how much I'll actually like it. Some things I'm curious about:

Exit Ops: what are they? I've heard restructuring folk are kind of seen as generalists and can have a hard time leaving firm life for an in-house role.
Lifestyle: I know I'm going to be billing like a mad man, and there will be a shit ton of travel. What are some other things I should expect?

Neither "billing like a mad man" or traveling a "shit ton" are necessarily the case. I'm a LA biglaw firm and the restructuring folks don't travel a ton and how much they bill varies just like it does in other practice areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L who has received an offer from a Kirkland/Weil type firm. I interviewed expressing interest in bankruptcy, and went to this firm for that reason. I have done extensive research, including speaking on the phone with dozens of attorneys in many different practice areas. Bankruptcy seems like an extremely interesting practice area, but obviously I have never worked a day in restructuring so I have no idea how much I'll actually like it. Some things I'm curious about:

Neither "billing like a mad man" or traveling a "shit ton" are necessarily the case. I'm a LA biglaw firm and the restructuring folks don't travel a ton and how much they bill varies just like it does in other practice areas.
Are they doing debtor or lender work? That can have a big impact on travel/amount worked. OP listed two firms which primarily do debtor work which often requires travel and working a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Bump

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Exits at top debtor shops can be great, a lot of people want to go to hedge/PE funds that focus on acquiring distressed companies. The problem is those great exits are pretty competitive even from top restructuring practices. As far as work, they are always busy and the hours can quickly turn nightmarish when the economy turns. One nice thing is that the work is countercyclical, meaning when firms are most likely to be laying off a lot of associates you're probably the most busy/safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”