A little stressed out about my first real office job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tlsthrowaway1

New

A little stressed out about my first real office job

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 am

Law will be my first real office job and I'm stressed out about it. I have been watching The Office to get a sense of what it's like and I feel so out of place.

1. Are there really people like Jim in offices? I hate that guy and want to punch him but apparently he's the most popular person on the show?

2. I like Dwight. He seems like an honest hard working guy. This, combined with my dislike for Jim, makes me feel like there's something wrong with me?

3. Do people actually flirt and PDA in offices? Is it OK to call HR if I see such things because I just couldn't deal.

4. How does Michael Scott compare to law office bosses? I like him but he seems too nice to be realistic.

Any other thoughts for someone starting their first real job?

nixy

Gold

Re: A little stressed out about my first real office job

Post by nixy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am

Dude, come on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

In some offices, maybe. In any decent law firm, none of it should be true. You’ll see. Nothing to worry about.

Make sure to say hello/morning to people you see. Smile and be friendly.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am

Law firms are more like Game of Thrones - physical and emotional abuse, infighting and backstabbing, shifting allegiances, a sense of impending doom where no one is safe, unexpected departures, gratuitous sex and violence, old white men sitting back and ordering people around...

and motherfucking dragons.

tlsthrowaway1

New

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

jhett wrote:Law firms are more like Game of Thrones - physical and emotional abuse, infighting and backstabbing, shifting allegiances, a sense of impending doom where no one is safe, unexpected departures, gratuitous sex and violence, old white men sitting back and ordering people around...

I hope this is trolling. If The Office isn't representative, can anyone recommend a TV show or book that is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 am

tlsthrowaway1 wrote:
jhett wrote:Law firms are more like Game of Thrones - physical and emotional abuse, infighting and backstabbing, shifting allegiances, a sense of impending doom where no one is safe, unexpected departures, gratuitous sex and violence, old white men sitting back and ordering people around...

I hope this is trolling. If The Office isn't representative, can anyone recommend a TV show or book that is?

Definitely Suits. lol

bloopbloopbloop

New

Post by bloopbloopbloop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Do we work together?

tlsthrowaway1

New

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am

worklifewhat wrote:
tlsthrowaway1 wrote:

Definitely Suits. lol
Is that a good show? I can binge watch it but I don't want to get all invested in a show if it's not worth it.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 am

tlsthrowaway1 wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
tlsthrowaway1 wrote:

Definitely Suits. lol
Is that a good show? I can binge watch it but I don't want to get all invested in a show if it's not worth it.
It started off really good but has kind of gone downhill. I think it's worth watching if you don't have anything else but it wouldn't be my first choice.

tlsthrowaway1

New

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:23 am

I'm good. I have so many nostalgic shows to rewatch on Amazon Prime, like Burn Notice. hehe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”