Lateraling from Mid Law to Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling from Mid Law to Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 am

I wasn't able to find a sufficient answer from searching prior posts, so I'm reaching out to the knowledgeable TLS here.

I recently graduated median from a T14; I wasn't able to get a big law position, though I did summer with an big law firm prior. I will be starting with a ~ 50 attorney law firm in a niche plaintiff's litigation area. As I am not a citizen, I am unable to clerk for federal courts. Which leads me to:

1. Would the fact that I graduated from a T14 and have had a summer associate position before help in lateraling to a big law firm down the line?
2. What are some things I can do to maximize my chances, apart from networking with local big law attorneys?
3. Will the fact that I'll have had significant experience in litigation help my application (depositions, client interviews, drafting pre-trial motions, etc.)?

Any other advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated - I really want to do the best I can to position myself for it down the line. As far as motivation for big law goes, I need to support myself and my loved ones. I realize monetary incentives aren't the best, but I have no choice otherwise.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateraling from Mid Law to Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 am

Bump

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”