transfer struck out Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

transfer struck out

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 pm

T6 transfer and struck out at OCI. I got 2 call backs from diversity fair prior to OCI. I had good feedback on my mock interviews and was told I interview well. I had about 20 screeners.

My bidding strategy was definitely off, my career services were not too helpful. I bid on firms like Cravath, Gibson, Skadden that don't take too kindly to transfers. I had top grades and was #1 at my lower T1 school. But got dinged from lower V100 firms as well.

I'm demoralized because I got dinged at firms that students at my previous law school got call-backs for, e.g. Latham, Paul Hastings.

As a transfer, OCI was more competitive. Also my 1L grades were meaningless as firms CB the top half of my new T6. As a transfer, it felt firms were seeing me as less than the students who were at school to begin with.

I really need big law to pay off loans and will mass mail. But T6 really hasn't helped me much.

Anonymous User

Re: transfer struck out

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Hey OP, sorry to hear that. Not sure what advice you're looking for, you should definitely be mass-mailing (if you haven't been already). I will suggest that it's possible specific firms weren't too receptive, but I don't see as much transfer stigma around. As far as your perception of yourself as a student at this new school, keep in mind that you should think of yourself as a top student, likely a stronger student than some of the below-median folks at your T6 getting biglaw callbacks. At the end of the day, you go to an great school and the most important thing is to make a strong showing this coming semester. There's still time and hopefully in the long run the transfer still pays off.

At the end of the day, control what you can. You're still in an enviable situation, at an elite school coming in with good grades. Try and network when you can and don't give up, biglaw hiring can go very late. While not statistically relevant, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people getting offers as late as mid march.

My final thought is this... 20 screeners plus 2 set up callbacks with great grades transferring into T6... It's possible to chalk it up to bad bidding, but my suggestion, going forward, would be to definitely mock interview a bit more and see if there's something going on. Like I mentioned above, there are definitely transfer students going into GT with worse grades getting offers, and perhaps there's something you can fix for interviews in the future.

Just as emphasis, you're still in a decent position. Mass mail like crazy, network when you can, and get good grades this coming semester.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm

OP I am on same boat as you except I got zero callbacks. I transferred to a T 20 with top grades and had 19 screeners. I did 2 mock interviews that said I interview well, so I’m just not sure what it is. I felt it had to be transfer stigma, but not sure now

OrangeGrandma

New

Post by OrangeGrandma » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Sorry to hear that. I am also a transfer student. Similar things happened to me too. A lot of lower ranked firms (V50, V100) I thought I did OK at OCI did not give me callbacks. However, some top ranked firms that I really wanted to go gave me callbacks. For your situation, it is possible that the lower ranked firms didn't think you would take the offer. Stay positive. Maybe try to reach out alums for coffee. Good luck!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 am

Did you ask past transfers to NYU how to bid properly?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

Just for a pick me up, I transferred a few years ago t1->t10, also go two major callbacks, also bid on those type of firms, and also struck out (though, having done OCI on the other end, I doubt my interviews were that great). I was able to get a pretty stellar public interest offer and then randomly get a summer associate offer in February. Reneged on the public interest but a fellow transfer took the same PI job and ended up at a v5 through 3l OCI. Know several others who struck out that year and almost every single one ended up with biglaw, truly. Yea, a couple clerked, but many didn’t.

I’ve had a stellar career since and have recently reached one of those “mountain top” jobs. So, keep your head up, I think you’ll be fine. Focus on grades though (obviously) - I did have a 3.8 after first semester at transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 am

Hey OP, you just really have to hustle hard. I also had trouble in converting interviews at my transfer school's OCI and tbh, I do believe there was some bias against transferees since they weren't of proven quality. That being said, I was able to find an SA via mass mailing. All it takes is one. Tailor everything and double/triple check for typos and send at least 20 a day. If you get a CB in early/mid September, it's already too late for most markets. You need interviews ASAP. Good luck OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”