Latham NY vs Akin NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham or Akin?

Latham
81%
Akin
19%

Total votes: 16

floatie

Silver

Latham NY vs Akin NY

Postby floatie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Even though I'm waiting on a couple of other places, these will probably be the two firms it comes down to. Interested in litigation. I absolutely loooooved Latham when I visited but I'm really nervous about what they did with their associates during the recession. And I really liked Akin too but I didn't really have an instinctive feeling of "this is the right place for me" but it seems like a more stable place.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham NY vs Akin NY

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Unless you for some reason really like bankruptcy litigation, I do not see any reason to choose Akin here. Latham did a very bad thing during the recession (and they should pay for it), but when the next downturn comes every firm will likely reduce associate headcount, and litigation will be more insulated from that as a more countercyclical practice area.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham NY vs Akin NY

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

The Lathamings were awful and a whole order of magnitude worse than what its peers did. I wouldn't recommend that anyone pick Latham over a peer firm. Here, however, I think the gap between Latham and Akin is large enough that Latham is probably worth the risk, esp. given that OP "clicked" with Latham so well.

Also, Akin isn't especially known for being kind to associates. Last year it deprived its entire class of stub-years of a bonus. So, my reluctant vote here would be for Latham.

Return to “Legal Employment�