Think I struck out at OCI...what should I do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Think I struck out at OCI...what should I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I think I struck out at OCI and I'm freaking out. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Think I struck out at OCI...what should I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Ok how many screeners did you have and how many firms do you still have to hear back from? Don’t assume silence automatically means a ding. I have two firms that I haven’t heard from post-screener and I know they’ve sent out rejections.

Did you have any callback interviews? When were they? Have you heard back from all of them?

Essentially, don’t assume you’ve struck out if you haven’t heard yet. Many firms overextended offers last gear and are moving more slowly this year as a result (I’ve been told this by recruiters from two big firms in NY).

If you have 100% struck out (and even if you haven’t but are worried about prospects) start mass mailing everywhere that you did not have a screener with in every market you would be willing to work in. Go outside of the vault 100. Look at the 150 under 150 and amlaw 200 etc. You can also talk to career services at your school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok how many screeners did you have and how many firms do you still have to hear back from? Don’t assume silence automatically means a ding. I have two firms that I haven’t heard from post-screener and I know they’ve sent out rejections.

Did you have any callback interviews? When were they? Have you heard back from all of them?

Essentially, don’t assume you’ve struck out if you haven’t heard yet. Many firms overextended offers last gear and are moving more slowly this year as a result (I’ve been told this by recruiters from two big firms in NY).

If you have 100% struck out (and even if you haven’t but are worried about prospects) start mass mailing everywhere that you did not have a screener with in every market you would be willing to work in. Go outside of the vault 100. Look at the 150 under 150 and amlaw 200 etc. You can also talk to career services at your school.
I had 19 screeners, haven't had any callbacks and have gotten 10 official dings. I'm calling some firms this week that I didn't have screeners with and have sent out applications to those that have the application still listed on their website. Hoping for the best at this point.

Anonymous User

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm

This happened to me and I ended up at my dream firm in a worse economy. Not saying that will happen to you but don't give up hope. Start maas mailing like crazy now. Apply to every firm.

Work on/change your interviewing technique. Learn to calm your nerves. Best to think of an interview as an opportunity and be at peace with it not working out/not being a fit. I find expectations can often screw with your mind. I found success setting my expectations low and just being honest and genuine. I also think meditation and breathing works.

If you mass mail like crazy, are unselective and have okay stats you may be able to nab several additional interviews including call backs. If you just slightly improve your interview skills you may convert one of those or more.

In my experience the bar is actually pretty low for hiring someone on an interview, if you have close stats. That doesn't make you an idiot or a weirdo, it's just that a lot of candidates are just too nervous or keep making the same mistakes that get them dinged across the board. In my experience it often seems to be a kind of nervousness that leads to weird behavior.

You can do this. I probably got something like 6-9 interviews after striking out and a couple offers out of that. I then turned one of those offers into an offer at my dream firm and a couple other great ones during 3L hiring, Don't give up. That's the most important thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This happened to me and I ended up at my dream firm in a worse economy. Not saying that will happen to you but don't give up hope. Start maas mailing like crazy now. Apply to every firm.

Work on/change your interviewing technique. Learn to calm your nerves. Best to think of an interview as an opportunity and be at peace with it not working out/not being a fit. I find expectations can often screw with your mind. I found success setting my expectations low and just being honest and genuine. I also think meditation and breathing works.

If you mass mail like crazy, are unselective and have okay stats you may be able to nab several additional interviews including call backs. If you just slightly improve your interview skills you may convert one of those or more.

In my experience the bar is actually pretty low for hiring someone on an interview, if you have close stats. That doesn't make you an idiot or a weirdo, it's just that a lot of candidates are just too nervous or keep making the same mistakes that get them dinged across the board. In my experience it often seems to be a kind of nervousness that leads to weird behavior.

You can do this. I probably got something like 6-9 interviews after striking out and a couple offers out of that. I then turned one of those offers into an offer at my dream firm and a couple other great ones during 3L hiring, Don't give up. That's the most important thing.
Thanks! Doing some mass mailing and other applications this week. Question - for mass mailing, if you don't get a response from the recruiter in the office because you left a voicemail, should you email them instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Yes, all of this is done by emailing. Calling isn’t crazy or anything, but it’s just not how you should go about it. Quit calling, start emailing. Good luck and hang in there!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”