Mass Emailed Some Already, wondering where to go from here... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Emailed Some Already, wondering where to go from here...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am

Hi!

I would appreciate some advice. 2H's, the rest P's. Got two CBs at interview week. My interview skills are okay, but I definitely placed way too much trust in career services and now I have realized my bid list was WAYYYY off. I didn't know any better. I mean I bid on Skadden, Gibson, PW, and more. Oops. Got another 1 from mass emailing.

I'm targeting the New York market, going for corporate.

So now I have 3 in NY and I'm just wondering, where else should I be mass emailing? I've basically emailed all the firms I know that pay at market or just below market in NY and I'm starting to wonder if I should start mass emailing Boston firms. That's only around 70-80 firms and I know people are saying I'm supposed to be in the hundreds. Then some here on TLS say that Boston is more grade selective. So I'm unsure what to do.

Thanks for your help.

BOSStongrl

New

Re: Mass Emailed Some Already, wondering where to go from here...

Post by BOSStongrl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi!

I would appreciate some advice. 2H's, the rest P's. Got two CBs at interview week. My interview skills are okay, but I definitely placed way too much trust in career services and now I have realized my bid list was WAYYYY off. I didn't know any better. I mean I bid on Skadden, Gibson, PW, and more. Oops. Got another 1 from mass emailing.

I'm targeting the New York market, going for corporate.

So now I have 3 in NY and I'm just wondering, where else should I be mass emailing? I've basically emailed all the firms I know that pay at market or just below market in NY and I'm starting to wonder if I should start mass emailing Boston firms. That's only around 70-80 firms and I know people are saying I'm supposed to be in the hundreds. Then some here on TLS say that Boston is more grade selective. So I'm unsure what to do.

Thanks for your help.
Just some advice for Boston- i'm potentially looking there as well- but boston REALLY wants you to have ties there, very very strong ties. With that said, make sure to mention that in your cover letter, and if you dont have ties, you have nothing to lose and should MM them anyway. Good luck!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Are you sure you've truly "exhausted" NYC? Have you gone beyond the Vault 100 & AmLaw 100?

Do you have any ties, however tenuous, to any non-NYC markets? Did you ever live in Texas or attend school there? Or have any relatives there? Then massmail the ever-loving stuffing out of the Dallas and Houston markets (even if your only Texas ties are to El Paso). Ditto for California, Florida, Chicago, and yes, Boston.

D.C. is more grade-sensitive, but if you've truly exhausted NYC, you might as well massmail D.C. as well.

Best wishes!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm

1) Double check your NYC mass-mail list. Did you contact EVERY major firm in NYC (other than those you had screeners with)?
2) Send e-mails to every major firm in each major city you'd be comfortable working in. Obviously this can create an issue of applying to multiple offices of the same firm. My rule of thumb for that is to pick one office for each unique recruiting contact (so for instance, if STB lists Jane as recruiter for LA and Palo Alto...just apply to one of those offices rather than expressing interest in both. I'd typically pick the bigger office unless you have some very compelling reason to pick the other (e.g. you're from Palo Alto)...in any case, try to make sure that the office you pick has a summer program. This is just what worked for me...ultimately up to you how to handle the multi-office issue.
3) Follow-up with firms that you already contacted and haven't heard back from one way or the other (assuming it's been at least 2-3 weeks since you
last contacted them). Keep doing that every few weeks until they all reject you or you get an offer.
4) Contact alumni at firms in your target market(s), let them know you've recently applied and ask if they have a few minutes to talk about your firm. Be careful not to send too many of these at once though as you don't want to end up without enough time to talk to everyone who responds. Don't be pushy about trying to get an interview...just say you're interested in learning more about the firm. Do attach your resume though. There's a decent chance that whomever you talk to will let recruiting know they spoke to you and you'll end up getting a screener out of it.
5) Another trick you can do is to let firms know you're "planning" to be in NYC on X dates and that you'll have some time available to come in for an interview. You won't be reimbursed for travel this way, but there's a decent chance you'll get something that way. You don't have to actually book any travel arrangements until you have something firmed up.
6) KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING. Every communication you send or receive from every firm or alum should be tracked, and when it was sent/received. Know where you've been rejected and where you've had screeners. This is immensely helpful with following up and also prevents you from wasting your time contacting places that have already said "no" .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm

@hoos89 How do I find a list of NY law firms that pay around market? I've googled but they're basically top 100, basically of which I have applied for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@hoos89 How do I find a list of NY law firms that pay around market? I've googled but they're basically top 100, basically of which I have applied for.
Try going through the AmLaw 200 and the other Vault rankings (e.g., Vault midsize, top 150 under 150, etc.).

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@hoos89 How do I find a list of NY law firms that pay around market? I've googled but they're basically top 100, basically of which I have applied for.
Why are you limiting yourself to firms that pay around market? You need a job. You can worry about whether firms pay market once you have an offer in hand.

NALP, Vault, Chambers, AmLaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm assuming you're at HLS, and I just wanted to say you're by no means the only person anxious about their EIP results.
In terms of MM though, I know a handful of other people who have started to look at secondary markets, including firms that aren't market, so unless there's a reason you absolutely have to be in NY/Boston I'd also suggest broadening your search a bit. As hoos89 said, better a job than no job. Also, if you haven't already, you can get in touch with OCS about the resume book program - I think the timeline is in late August/September when firms have a better sense of how their class is panning out, and come back for second looks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”