Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:03 pm

So if students visit the STB NY ofc they should expect to be given a little Koolade? I think that says it all for this guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Yeah. Pretty unbelievable, wonder if anyone from STB NY will ever read this. And not sure why he suddenly started referencing K&E. Why are they even relevant? I thought the questions were about STB and the chances of making partner there in a 4 partner office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah. Pretty unbelievable, wonder if anyone from STB NY will ever read this. And not sure why he suddenly started referencing K&E. Why are they even relevant? I thought the questions were about STB and the chances of making partner there in a 4 partner office.
The original question was how many people have been made partner since the office opened. Maybe work on your reading comprehension?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Not sure why you are getting upset, the question the poster is raising is why you suddenly started referencing K&E.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I’m trying to pick between TK and Bracewell for transactional work. Very hard to distinguish the firms in my opinion. Any advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, openly admitting that your firm gives students “a little koolade” is a strange way to recruit. Not sure how much I would trust info STB gives out on call backs. Hopefully this is just a bad apple. I actually liked the folks I met from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure why you are getting upset, the question the poster is raising is why you suddenly started referencing K&E.
K&E reference was to make the point that partnership prospects at STB are no worse than at one of the other leading firms in Houston right now. Going to a firm based on partnership prospects is not really what you should be focusing on. Likely only 2-5% of your summer class (really at any big law firm other than Wachtell and boutiques) will even stick around and be considered for partnership.

A better question is to find out how years 1-4 will be (assignment system, client interactions, responsibility, hours, work life balance, interactions with partners, etc.).

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m trying to pick between TK and Bracewell for transactional work. Very hard to distinguish the firms in my opinion. Any advice?
Sorry chief, this thread is now solely dedicated to K&E bashing/K&E sunshine pumping, as all TLS Houston threads are destined to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 pm

All important points. Partnership prospects also seem important tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Yeah, think K&E has been bashed or pumped to death. Think we have gathered from this that there are only 4 partners at STB after 7 years, they have a 9-12 year partnership track at best, and some hostile dude currently working at STB wants to try to turn this back into another K&E bashing, not clear why.

camh344

New

Post by camh344 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 pm

-
Last edited by camh344 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All important points. Partnership prospects also seem important tho.
Agreed, and the point is there are no worse partnership prospects compared to peer firms. Just because they haven’t made partners for a few years doesn’t mean there are none. If anything, partnership prospects are better now than when I started given the office size and general faster growth.

For what it’s worth, Simpson’s partnership is equity only and modified lockstep and does not have minimum revenue targets or reevaluations to remain a partner - once you’re in you are in. Partners that have left Simpson since I started went to head government agencies, become GCs at clients or exited law completely (e.g., academia, business, retirement). They also have arguably one of the best partner pension plans in biglaw.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:17 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’m trying to pick between TK and Bracewell for transactional work. Very hard to distinguish the firms in my opinion. Any advice?
Sorry chief, this thread is now solely dedicated to K&E bashing/K&E sunshine pumping, as all TLS Houston threads are destined to be.
I mean, even the NY to 190k thread kept devolving into a Houston v. NYC shouting match run by the same people above. I don't want to be incendiary but some of you need to divine a little bit of chill so this thread can actually help the people it's supposed to be helping.

Jesus, as I'm trying to post this they still, just to be petty, feel the need to GET IN SHOTS at a 30 person satellite office. I think I just need to find the power to stop reading this freaking threads

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm

camh344 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
In that case, I despise what KE and the other out of town ers are doing to the Houston legal market. I hope an economic downturn drives them out. I cannot fathom why one start at a firm that has a 2-5% chance of partnership.
The percentage would grow larger the longer you stay and the better your work product. On a pure number basis as a stub year associate, the firm would likely expect only 2-5% to stick around long enough to make partnership. Just compare the total number of senior associates at a biglaw firm compared to junior associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm

This is so funny how it always goes back to K&E. I don’t think anyone from that firm said there is a 2-5% chance of partner. Not sure how you can despise them when they have nothing to do with this thread. Someone from STB said there is at best a 2-5% chance at STB. It is confusing because one STB poster said partnershipship shouldn’t be a big focus. The other said it is important and chances are good at STB even tho they only have 4 partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 pm

No thoughts on TK v Bracewell transactional? Despite what my previous post turned into.....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No thoughts on TK v Bracewell transactional? Despite what my previous post turned into.....
I view them as more or less equal with somewhat different cultures. I think Bracewell hires a lot more of the good old boy/Houston old money kids. Both seem like decent non-top tier firms. I see Bracewell across from me somewhat more often but see TK fairly frequently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No thoughts on TK v Bracewell transactional? Despite what my previous post turned into.....
I view them as more or less equal with somewhat different cultures. I think Bracewell hires a lot more of the good old boy/Houston old money kids. Both seem like decent non-top tier firms. I see Bracewell across from me somewhat more often but see TK fairly frequently.
I would agree. The firms are probably the closest you will find to one another in Texas. You can't go wrong with either. I would probably lean TK just from a cultural perspective but it would be a close call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 pm

I actually find these threads really interesting. Wish we had something like this in NY. Really funny that even when they have nothing to do with the thread it always ends with someone accusing K&E of being involved or somehow at fault. They must be making a hell of an impression in that market. FWIW, the reference to the 9-12 year partnership track at STB is news to me from an NYC perspective. Don’t think STB NY would agree with that at all.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually find these threads really interesting. Wish we had something like this in NY. Really funny that even when they have nothing to do with the thread it always ends with someone accusing K&E of being involved or somehow at fault. They must be making a hell of an impression in that market. FWIW, the reference to the 9-12 year partnership track at STB is news to me from an NYC perspective. Don’t think STB NY would agree with that at all.
Can we get rid of those pesky anon masks and show the gentlemen from New York the contributions of three IPs self-identified as belonging to KE posters? I honestly have no beef with Kirkland, just with three IPs that have claimed to be posting from their office who muck up these threads. I just want to get some honest opinions about the TX market if I do decide to lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 pm

K&S offer next day after CB

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&S offer next day after CB
You mean K&E? I wonder what their CB/offer ratio is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm

NRF offer today - callback yesterday. Anyone heard back from V&E?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 pm

got a Sidley offer this evening after CB this morning. Seems like they're doing the quickest turnarounds

edit: V&E as well, a day after CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&S offer next day after CB
You mean K&E? I wonder what their CB/offer ratio is.
Chances are he/she does mean K&S. King & Spalding

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”