Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Houston OCI, Callbacks, Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&S offer next day after CB
You mean K&E? I wonder what their CB/offer ratio is.
King & Spalding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:NRF offer today - callback yesterday. Anyone heard back from V&E?
Did you let them know you had an offer on the table or did they just get back to you that quickly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 am

V&E offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am

V&E offer. 72 hour turnaround on the dot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Have all the attorneys generally been pleasant to interact with during the CBs? Any outliers negatively?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have all the attorneys generally been pleasant to interact with during the CBs? Any outliers negatively?
A couple partners at LW/KE cursed during the interview, but not in any negative context. People at V&E were noticeably stuffier and made the experience more "interview-like" in tone--especially in litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Gibson Dunn ding by email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have all the attorneys generally been pleasant to interact with during the CBs? Any outliers negatively?
A couple partners at LW/KE cursed during the interview, but not in any negative context. People at V&E were noticeably stuffier and made the experience more "interview-like" in tone--especially in litigation.
Thank you for saying this about your V&E interview. I was on the fence about cancelling my CB with them because I am just over interviews at this point. No longer on the fence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you for saying this about your V&E interview. I was on the fence about cancelling my CB with them because I am just over interviews at this point. No longer on the fence.
OP here. I wouldn't make a decision based on my comment. It could be a bad apples situation. Younger associates I had lunch with and met with outside of an interviewing context were very chill. Also, VE/KE are the place right now so I wouldn't cancel an interview with one without an offer from the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. I wouldn't make a decision based on my comment. It could be a bad apples situation. Younger associates I had lunch with and met with outside of an interviewing context were very chill. Also, VE/KE are the place right now so I wouldn't cancel an interview with one without an offer from the other.
I have the offer. I definitely wouldn't cancel any interviews if I didn't! Good looking out and thanks for following up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm

What’s the K&E CB -> offer timeline been so far?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NRF offer today - callback yesterday. Anyone heard back from V&E?
Did you let them know you had an offer on the table or did they just get back to you that quickly?
I did not. They just got back to me quickly. V&E offer today as well after call-back Tuesday morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What’s the K&E CB -> offer timeline been so far?
It can vary from before you leave the office to days or even weeks later. Depends on who you meet with (both seniority and how much they short circuit the usual decision making process on your behalf), how quickly those attorneys submit evaluations and how busy recruiting is. Even if it has been 4 or 5 days and others you interviewed with or before have received offers, I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that you will not receive an offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm

From reading past threads and personal experience, it's usually 24-48 hours or bust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm

24 hours for me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean I had a really chill, fun conversation which was 80% about art film with some V&E partners so turning down the interview based on this TLS post seems pretty dumb to me. Led to an offer. Of course there are other reasons not to want V&E I'm sure, but again, this post doesn't seem like a good one

Edit: and the interviewers were in lit!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Going to piggy back on this. KE was informal in a good way. Not interview like at all really. I also came out of it feeling desired. VE came off stuffy and interview like. For example, an interviewer holding a stone face and not giving much positive feedback to what you say in the interview. VE definitely more "good ole' boyish" than KE ( which is probably more broish which better suits me).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean I had a really chill, fun conversation which was 80% about art film with some V&E partners so turning down the interview based on this TLS post seems pretty dumb to me. Led to an offer. Of course there are other reasons not to want V&E I'm sure, but again, this post doesn't seem like a good one

Edit: and the interviewers were in lit!
Thanks for the input. I take everything on this board with a grain of salt. Multiple offers and V&E wasn’t at the top of my list. Clearly a great firm but not well suited for for my personality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 am

Obviously making my own decision and taking things on this board with a grain of salt, but would love to hear other folks input on whether it would be crazy to pick one of the smaller and/or newer shops (e.g. Willkie) over Kirkland

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:51 am

I don't think there would be anything wrong with picking a firm like Wilkie over Kirkland. Go with what feels right and realistically the career difference between starting at either place is negligible, except maybe worse hours at Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

FWIW, one of my V&E interviewers said the firm has hiring committee meetings on Thursday evenings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously making my own decision and taking things on this board with a grain of salt, but would love to hear other folks input on whether it would be crazy to pick one of the smaller and/or newer shops (e.g. Willkie) over Kirkland
I had a similar debate but chose larger firm because some of the smaller shops don't have a strong capital markets practice and I want to try both Cap Markets and M&A and even tax possibly. Plus, more people means a better ability to find people who you click with personally and professionally. At the smaller places theres only a few partners and if you don't end up liking them you're sol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:27 pm

For those fortunate enough to be picking between LW/VE/KE, how are y'all making your choice?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think there would be anything wrong with picking a firm like Wilkie over Kirkland. Go with what feels right and realistically the career difference between starting at either place is negligible, except maybe worse hours at Kirkland.
If you were to go to a smaller office, the quality of the office matters tremendously and there is a huge diff between Willkie and, say, a Latham, STB and GDC. Look at where mid levels and seniors have exited to and how many partners have been made via organically in the smaller office to help evaluate quality. If a place doesn’t have those kind of proven exits (consistently) and also doesn’t make partners from their own associate pool, then you would just be stuck at a certain point and you would be hoping that changes—risky. You can always lateral to a Willkie from a K&E and get paid in the process...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you were to go to a smaller office, the quality of the office matters tremendously and there is a huge diff between Willkie and, say, a Latham, STB and GDC. Look at where mid levels and seniors have exited to and how many partners have been made via organically in the smaller office to help evaluate quality. If a place doesn’t have those kind of proven exits (consistently) and also doesn’t make partners from their own associate pool, then you would just be stuck at a certain point and you would be hoping that changes—risky. You can always lateral to a Willkie from a K&E and get paid in the process...
LW is a small office? I thought they were at 80, but maybe I haven't checked numbers recently. As to GDC, they opened in April/May last year and it's a bit early to analyze organic growth and exiting options.
Anonymous User wrote:For those fortunate enough to be picking between LW/VE/KE, how are you y'all making your choice?
Meeting recent summers from these firms at my school within the 28 day window.
Firms will put you in touch with people who've decided to commit (naturally).
School career services will put you in touch with people who decided to not go back.
Goal is to hear both sides' stories, weigh it all, and see what personalities most strongly resemble my own.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”