In-House - How many rejections before you landed your job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-House - How many rejections before you landed your job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 pm

If you could provide some details about your process...namely, how many positions had you applied for? Was it a transactions or litigation role? What year were you? Did you perfectly fit the job description?

Anonymous User

Re: In-House - How many rejections before you landed your job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 am

Probably not gonna be helpful to you, but I've noticed in-house hiring is hot right now. I'm a recent graduate from a T-14 with no biglaw experience and have now had 4 in-house interviews and 1 offer (too low, didn't accept) from a F50 company.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably not gonna be helpful to you, but I've noticed in-house hiring is hot right now. I'm a recent graduate from a T-14 with no biglaw experience and have now had 4 in-house interviews and 1 offer (too low, didn't accept) from a F50 company.
How are you finding these positions? What was the compensation for offer that was "too low?" I'm guessing you're class of 2018, so not admitted to the bar yet? What market are you looking in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Very interested in. Where are you finding these opportunities?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably not gonna be helpful to you, but I've noticed in-house hiring is hot right now. I'm a recent graduate from a T-14 with no biglaw experience and have now had 4 in-house interviews and 1 offer (too low, didn't accept) from a F50 company.
Could you pm me? Would love to ask some questions. I'm at a T-14 and have recently come to conclusion that I have just about zero desire to practice law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Could you pm me? Would love to ask some questions. I'm at a T-14 and have recently come to conclusion that I have just about zero desire to practice law.
Same here. Can the previous poster also PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How are you finding these positions? What was the compensation for offer that was "too low?" I'm guessing you're class of 2018, so not admitted to the bar yet? What market are you looking in?
Yea, not admitted yet. I'm finding these positions through different websites like Indeed, goinhouse, attorneyjobs, linkedin, etc. Some of my interviews are with company's that require 2-3 years biglaw experience, so I would encourage others to apply broadly. The compensation was under 80k overall, but that one was an entry level position in a very low cost of living market in Florida. I'm mostly looking at CA, but have had interviews in Florida and Texas.

As for PM, sorry, I don't think that feature exists anymore here. I will email if you post a burner email address.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm

I am a third year going on fourth year. At this point, I've gotten 8 in-house interviews. I got rejected after the screener at 2/8. I got rejected after a second or third phone interview at 2/8. And I made it to a final in-person round of interviews and then rejected at 1/8. 3/8 are still in process. No offers yet.

The timeline can be all over the place I think. The first several ones I applied to were lightening fast and looked like a 3-4 week process. The last few ones have been with bigger, more established companies and have been dragging and it has been more like 2-3 weeks between application, screener and initial phone interview.

I started applying mid-way through my second year and have been fairly selective. I am getting a lot more traction now then I was in the beginning. Comp has been mostly $170-185K base in the Bay Area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a third year going on fourth year. At this point, I've gotten 8 in-house interviews. I got rejected after the screener at 2/8. I got rejected after a second or third phone interview at 2/8. And I made it to a final in-person round of interviews and then rejected at 1/8. 3/8 are still in process. No offers yet.

The timeline can be all over the place I think. The first several ones I applied to were lightening fast and looked like a 3-4 week process. The last few ones have been with bigger, more established companies and have been dragging and it has been more like 2-3 weeks between application, screener and initial phone interview.

I started applying mid-way through my second year and have been fairly selective. I am getting a lot more traction now then I was in the beginning. Comp has been mostly $170-185K base in the Bay Area.
I've seen a couple in-house positions (mostly tech/fintech company's) in the bay area for entry-level positions out of law school, what do you think would be an appropriate salary range for those positions? I know the bay area is a ridiculously expensive place to live. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a third year going on fourth year. At this point, I've gotten 8 in-house interviews. I got rejected after the screener at 2/8. I got rejected after a second or third phone interview at 2/8. And I made it to a final in-person round of interviews and then rejected at 1/8. 3/8 are still in process. No offers yet.

Transaction roles or litigation? Are you already in the Bay Area or would that be a geographic move for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yea, not admitted yet. I'm finding these positions through different websites like Indeed, goinhouse, attorneyjobs, linkedin, etc. Some of my interviews are with company's that require 2-3 years biglaw experience, so I would encourage others to apply broadly. The compensation was under 80k overall, but that one was an entry level position in a very low cost of living market in Florida. I'm mostly looking at CA, but have had interviews in Florida and Texas.

As for PM, sorry, I don't think that feature exists anymore here. I will email if you post a burner email address.
Thanks!! My burner email is: letsgoinhouse@gmail.com

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you could provide some details about your process...namely, how many positions had you applied for? Was it a transactions or litigation role? What year were you? Did you perfectly fit the job description?
Transactional role, applied starting at 4 years experience and accepted an offer at 6 years, fit at least 2/3 of the job description for each one.

I didn't track the exact numbers at each stage, but it was something like ~25 applications, ~10 phone interviews, ~5 in person interviews, 1 offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you could provide some details about your process...namely, how many positions had you applied for? Was it a transactions or litigation role? What year were you? Did you perfectly fit the job description?
I applied as a 3rd year tax associate due to a need to relocate. I wasn't specifically committed to in-house and had mostly been applying to law firms. 2 formal applications, no rejections. However, I had about half a dozen soft rejections when I inquired informally about whether a given company had an opening when non was listed. I also had a lot of soft rejections at law firms where they weren't sure if they had the capacity to take on a lateral, but didn't reject me outright. One firm eventually extended an offer after I already accepted my in-house role.

My first in-house "application" was through a friend of a friend situation and there was no specific opening. Things actually did progress through to a second flyback interview, but I never got a definitive up/down vote before I accepted my current role. My second application was for published role, which I pretty much fit to a "T." I'm still there now 5 years later. The process was not quick at either company, with almost 3 months passing from first posting. Large companies can have quite a lot of bureaucracy to slow the process. In both cases, I did quite a bit of networking around the role. Due to the specialization in tax, you really can't use the scattershot method unless you are willing to relocate anywhere- there' never going to be more than small handful of open positions in a city at a given time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”