Backdooring into another office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Backdooring into another office

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Rising 2L. My first choice market, market A, will be hard for me to get into. My last choice market, market Z, is the easiest for me to get into. I don't have any offers yet. I've done some CBs and have some more on the horizon. Market is one of the most important considerations to me in picking a firm. I am all in on market A.

I did a screener with a firm's office in market Z and they just invited me to do a CB. They have a strong office in market A but the screener office is a small satellite office.

I have heard that some people ask to CB with a different office after a screener. I've also heard of some people doing 2L summer in one office and then transferring to a different office after graduation (at this exact firm, actually.) Or people splitting between 2 offices.

Advice??? Personal anecdotes from people who have done something like this??

I'm hesitant to express interest in a different office because they might decide not to consider me at all. I can't be choosy without any offers in hand. But I'm also nervous to move forward with a CB at an office I'm not super interested in because this is a good firm and I would love to work in their market A office.

Return to “Legal Employment”