First Callback Ding Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First Callback Ding

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:44 pm

I am freaking out. I had my first callback interview with a big firm in D.C. yesterday. At the time, I felt like it wasn't going great -- I was anxious, feeling a lot of pressure not to mess up, and I think I really psyched myself out. It must have gone worse than I thought because they dinged me less than 24 hours later via email. This was especially disappointing because it was a great firm and one of my top choices.

I have a bunch of other callbacks coming up, and I am really terrified that I won't be able to convert any of them into an offer. I think I'm going to head down a panic spiral. I could really use some advice, some comfort, or some anecdotes about other people who messed up their first interview and went on to get an offer. Anything that you think would help, I would so appreciate it. I don't want to lose all of my other opportunities by freaking myself out.

Anonymous User

Re: First Callback Ding

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

it was your first one, it makes sense to be nervous. it sounds like you have good grades and are a strong candidate, so just go in there and be yourself. don't worry about screwing up. It's gonna be weird and awkward sometimes. Alot of the interviewers are going to also be concerned about not being weird, and they are trying to sell the firm to you as much as evaluate you.

I screwed up screeners at my top choices last year. So it happens to folks. Sounds like you got through screeners, which are harder to do than CBs imo, so youre doing something right.

Don't be physically tense. Remind yourself to relax your body. listen to what the other person is saying, and have a conversation. you'll kill it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am freaking out. I had my first callback interview with a big firm in D.C. yesterday. At the time, I felt like it wasn't going great -- I was anxious, feeling a lot of pressure not to mess up, and I think I really psyched myself out. It must have gone worse than I thought because they dinged me less than 24 hours later via email. This was especially disappointing because it was a great firm and one of my top choices.

I have a bunch of other callbacks coming up, and I am really terrified that I won't be able to convert any of them into an offer. I think I'm going to head down a panic spiral. I could really use some advice, some comfort, or some anecdotes about other people who messed up their first interview and went on to get an offer. Anything that you think would help, I would so appreciate it. I don't want to lose all of my other opportunities by freaking myself out.
I wish I could shake your hands! I feel the same way. I am not sure how screwed up I was during my first callback in DC but it has been radio silence since last week. I personally felt that callbacks are more difficult in my case. I constantly felt like I said something wrong and it was always with a partner. lol. I am trying to get better but I am very anxious that my opportunities are slipping away.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:29 pm

That sucks to the extend that all the firms that dinged me waited at least two weeks to tell me to fuck off.

If you managed to get a callback from a DC firm, you should end up fine.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It must have gone worse than I thought because they dinged me less than 24 hours later via email.
Don't think that way! Many firms are simply quick to make offer/ding decisions. A quick ding doesn't necessarily mean your interview was egregiously bad.
Anonymous User wrote:I could really use some advice, some comfort, or some anecdotes about other people who messed up their first interview and went on to get an offer
I messed up my first three interviews, and still ended up with a number of really great offers in the end. The key is to learn from each experience and use it to improve. Remember, each interview is independent. Even if you completely, egregiously bomb an interview at Firm A, you won't be at any disadvantage going in to your next interview at Firm B.
Anonymous User wrote:At the time, I felt like it wasn't going great -- I was anxious, feeling a lot of pressure not to mess up, and I think I really psyched myself out.
I know it's hard, and it's easy to get nervous (I always get nervous too; everyone does!). But try to think of it less as an interview of you, and more as a collaborative search for a good fit. The firm wants to know if you'd be a good fit for them; you want to know if the firm would be a good fit for you. It's a two-way street! You're not only being interviewed by the firm as a potential employee; you're also interviewing the firm to decide if you want to work for them.

Sharpy

New

Post by Sharpy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:00 pm

OP, can you PM me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”