MoFo Tokyo

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fareast_midwest

New

MoFo Tokyo

Postby fareast_midwest » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 am

I am wondering how difficult it is to land a SA position at MoFo Tokyo. Assume I am going to be attending GULC/Mich/NW. I have distant family (cousins) in Tokyo and I speak fluent Japanese (fluent is obviously a subjective term but I speak it well enough to be able to work a job where it is the only language we communicate in) and I already know that i want to be back in Tokyo long term. What sort of 1L gpa is needed to be competitive as a T14 student? And how much of a boost (if any) comes with Japanese fluency? I am also curious to see if there are any other Tokyo branches of firms that anyone would recommend given this profile?

Thank you in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo Tokyo

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am

With that background you will get an offer even if your grades are mediocre (regardless of which t14). I worked there. I'd be careful though, the work culture in the m&a group can be toxic. With your fluency, a lot of other firns are accessible that are off limits to English only speakers. MoFo Tokyo will feel closer to American biglaw, but I think you may have a better experience at say White & Case, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 pm

I have some limited experience with American big law firms in Tokyo and I hear time and time again that the work culture at MoFo's M&A group is toxic. The more Japanese a firm's work culture is the worse it is. Work culture in M&A groups of local Japanese law firms is horrendously bad with people billing 300 or more hours every month. The New York firms in Tokyo seem to have a more humane work culture based on my limited experience and communications with people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm

As a US-based 3rd year corporate associate who has billed close to 300 in a month only once, it boggles my mind why anyone would willingly subject themselves to that sort of thing as the default work culture. I have an international background too and love travel/exploring, but you mustn't confuse working biglaw in Tokyo with pre-law school backpacking/volunteering/study abroad. Not when you have much more humane options.

Japanese work culture is a dystopian death trap. I know of corporate associates at Nishimura & Asahi who pull 7 AM to 2 AM day in day out (for significantly less than US biglaw $ too).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Have some experience working for a New York firm's office in Tokyo, and my impression is that the hours/expectations are pretty similar to what you would face in corporate practice biglaw, generally. There are some pretty big differences, particularly in the variety of work, which at non-MoFo offices tends to be more narrow in scope, and the work hours, as you may have some deals closing in the early hours of the morning Japan time. However, at one of the New York firms you are not going to be subjected to the same kind of horror stories you hear coming from true Japanese firms because the work culture is still very much "American" (this isn't to say, though, you won't still experience a biglaw horror story of your own).

As for applying, MoFo's Tokyo office often pops up in OCI lists, especially at the schools you have listed, but applying for a satellite office of a New York firm in Tokyo is a lot more self-driven. These offices tend to be very small and you'll have to research 1) whether they have non-Japanese junior associates and 2) who manages their recruiting (i.e. does the home office manage it, or do they?), among other things. After you have an idea of these things it's basically direct-sending a resume/cover letter to the recruiting contact and hoping for the best.

Return to “Legal Employment�