What to do with firms that pre-selected you at old school Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do with firms that pre-selected you at old school

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I was accepted to a CCN as a transfer rather late and the OCI schedule at my old school has already come out. Our process is a mix of pre-selects and lottery and I noticed that I got some firms I put towards the bottom of my list (thought I might not get them due to small # of slots available). While I don't know for sure, I think I was very likely pre-selected and would very much like to secure an interview with these firms. I will obviously be participating in OCI at my new school, but I was wondering what would be the best approach to reach out to these firms (without offending my previous school if they ever find out) since my CCN is all lottery?

Thanks so much for your input!

Anonymous User

Re: What to do with firms that pre-selected you at old school

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I’d like to know the answer to this too, as I am in the same spot.

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm

*I am a rising second year at a T13 school with no knowledge of the transfer process. But here is my advice.

The timing here is confusing. How can you participate in the new school OCI? You'll do the OCI before taking any classes there? It's not "obvious" to me you'll be at the new school's OCI; not everyone knows how transferring works - make sure you explain to the recruiters concisely.

I think you should just tell them you will be transferring. You would like to interview through the new school's OCI, but you'd also be happy to interview through the old system (if that's even still possible?).

If doing OCI at the old school is impossible, then just tell the firms you're sorry and hope to interview with them at the new school's OCI (or some other time if possible).

If a firm is unlikely to interview you in the new OCI, then say you're transferring but still want to interview through another means.

Be concise, clear, and expedient with recruiters. Explain your concern. Show continued interest. They'll be happy about your communication if you do it right.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Risk of transferring. If you get them at new school go ahead and interview. Can’t participate in two oci’s.

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:*I am a rising second year at a T13 school with no knowledge of the transfer process. But here is my advice.

The timing here is confusing. How can you participate in the new school OCI? You'll do the OCI before taking any classes there? It's not "obvious" to me you'll be at the new school's OCI; not everyone knows how transferring works - make sure you explain to the recruiters concisely.

I think you should just tell them you will be transferring. You would like to interview through the new school's OCI, but you'd also be happy to interview through the old system (if that's even still possible?).

If doing OCI at the old school is impossible, then just tell the firms you're sorry and hope to interview with them at the new school's OCI (or some other time if possible).

If a firm is unlikely to interview you in the new OCI, then say you're transferring but still want to interview through another means.

Be concise, clear, and expedient with recruiters. Explain your concern. Show continued interest. They'll be happy about your communication if you do it right.
The only T13 that doesn’t let transfers participate in OCI is Cornell. They’ll be at their new school’s oci.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”