Should I lateral? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm

PLease don't quote, plan to delete.

I'm at a firm that went to the new $190k scale, but for lack of productivity (slow year in my group, have been assured multiple times that my quality of work is up to par with my class year), I am not getting the raise. It is unclear how exactly this will play out, but since first years will be starting within the next couple of months (at the new first year rate of $190k), and I'll still be at $180k, I'll effectively be paid less than first years....even as a second year.

It's unclear when and how I could catch up to my class in terms of salary. This feels like a slap in the face or a way for the firm to fire me soon.

Should I be searching for lateral positions ASAP?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Should I lateral?

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm

You need to leave ASAP. So dumb for firms to penalize associates for not having enough hours as if associates can control that.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:01 pm

I have a hard time believing they won't at least bump you up to 190k, I think you should probably confirm first since staying at 180k just seems unlikely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm

smokeylarue wrote:I have a hard time believing they won't at least bump you up to 190k, I think you should probably confirm first since staying at 180k just seems unlikely.
I was told that if I manage to hit hours by end of year (which I won't), that as of January 1 they would bump me up to be commensurate with my class year. But since that won't happen, I guess maybe I'd be effectively repeating first year, but nothing made clear about whether I could ever catch up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm

You should anonymously send this information to Above the Law. They would love a story about a firm that "matched" but isn't raising current associate salaries in lockstep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:09 pm

jjcorvino wrote:You should anonymously send this information to Above the Law. They would love a story about a firm that "matched" but isn't raising current associate salaries in lockstep.
A number of firms announced they'd be doing something like this. It's not really news if it's one of those firms.

OP: I'd lateral. That's some bullshit and doesn't bode well for you long term. It doesn't make any sense to pay an existing associate less than an incoming first year. If the firm really wanted to keep you, they'd have given you the raise...not to mention that you just generally don't want to be in a group that can't generate enough work to support you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”