Coming back to the US from Japan Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Coming back to the US from Japan

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:14 pm

V100 corporate associate. Just got an offer from a V50 Tokyo position with generous cost of living adjustment. I can pay my loans off twice faster if I join, but hesitant because I don't know if I can make it back to the US after a few years.

Any ideas? Have any of you seen someone make it back to the US?

Anonymous User

Re: Coming back to the US from Japan

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am

I am an in house for a tech company in Tokyo. I know some of my friends started in Asia, and they have all said it's quite difficult to go back to US. But, if you are a mid level and have prior experience from the states, it shouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am an in house for a tech company in Tokyo. I know some of my friends started in Asia, and they have all said it's quite difficult to go back to US. But, if you are a mid level and have prior experience from the states, it shouldn't be a problem.
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I actually only had less than a year so far, and likely will be joining early next year at around 1.5 year mark if I were to accept.

Also, I should note that the corporate practice I am in is a niche area that’s different from what the firm is doing in Japan.

Do you think I may be able to come back to the US for a general corporate role after 3-5 years in Japan??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

There is a massive disparity between firms in Asia and that will directly play into your prospects returning. If it’s a Skadden, LW, GDC in Asia, generally, that’s one thing and those people can crush the return as they are doing a lot more registered SEC offerings and meaningful M&A...others do basically high yield bond offerings and you may be stuck...that’s not one to play with if the V50 means not V10 and you are looking at a firm that “specializes” in that lower end of the fee spectrum (e.g., high yield).

Literally, it can either be a career accelerator or compete mess depending on firm and how you position yourself for the return. Be prepared to build on what you do in Tokyo, not run from it as you think about the US return though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 am

were you recruited by recruiter ? How did you come across this opportunity , could you share a bit of that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:46 am

Is this MoFo? If so, the pathway back is not as difficult, at least to other MoFo offices. Tokyo is their second biggest money maker and it's more of a full service shop than a satellite. I know more than a few lawyers who have moved back and forth. Where they started did not seem to matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”