Government from NY vs DC biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Government from NY vs DC biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Weighing two pre-OCI offers, one from NY biglaw and one from DC biglaw. Ultimate goal is government (DOJ/USAO, ideally). Would the DC firm be better for that b/c of its location, or does it not really matter?

deference

New

Re: Government from NY vs DC biglaw

Post by deference » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:47 pm

You'll notice most federal attorneys come from DC biglaw if you click around the linkedin profiles. This is really just because many DC biglaw practices are regulatory focused. Of course, certain finance related agencies might have more for NY biglaw folks, but the general consensus is that DC biglaw is the better route for federal agency. AUSA, on the other hand, is a different matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 am

deference wrote:You'll notice most federal attorneys come from DC biglaw if you click around the linkedin profiles. This is really just because many DC biglaw practices are regulatory focused. Of course, certain finance related agencies might have more for NY biglaw folks, but the general consensus is that DC biglaw is the better route for federal agency. AUSA, on the other hand, is a different matter.
I mean, if I wanted to do SEC Enforcement in NY, I'm pretty sure I'd want to be in a NY BigLaw firm first. isn't the answer basically "if you want to do federal work in DC you should practice in DC and if you want to do it in NY you should work in NY"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Anecdotal - I was at a government agency this summer, and some of the attorneys came from NY and CA. Most from DC, naturally, but qualified is qualified.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Assuming for the sake of argument that you have no ties to anything and are making this decision in a vacuum, dc is clearly the credited play for your specific goals. I suppose I’m just not sure how anybody could really argue otherwise, but fire away (that’s why we are all here,right?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”